Interview with a guy who makes US10,000 daily via Adsense.

March 27, 2006 by

A few days ago I wrote about one guy who has made a million in three months from Adsense.

That guy was Markus Frind the owner of the free dating site PlentyOfFish.com who has been making $10,000 a day from Adsense. Markus had agreed to be interviewed by Andrew Johnson, the owner of The Web Publishing blog.

Andrew writes:

You appear to be an advocate of simple, quick loading designs. Do you think that there are any other elements of web site development that developers are looking at wrong and may be counter-productive to their success?

Function over form to build an emotional connection with the user.  Blend ads into content,  No flashing crap,  make the site  useful.  Basically all those things that everyone knows you are supposed to do, but very few people actually do.    There is no magic  bullet,  but you should always test new designs or new text etc to get the result that you want.   You will never have the worst design and never the best,  but through testing you can always improve.

So lets recap

• Build emotional connection with the user
  • Blend ads into content
  • No flash
  • Create useful site

I take those are the most useful advice given by Markus in that interview.

[via The Blog Herald]

Comments

Comment by Shawn Mattson Subscribed to comments via email
2007-05-30 06:43:10

Update: I’m still blacklisted as of 5-29-07

Markus Frind of Canada, owner of Plentyoffish.com:

Re: your unfair termination of my membership and your anti-male,
discriminatory, fraudulent and unlawful business model.

Why did you delete my profile and terminate my membership on July 3, 2006 at
8:57 PM?

You did so without any notice or explanation. In fact, you deceived me as to
the reason, resulting in my wasting a lot of my time. Consequently, the next
day, I spent six hours attempting to log on. At first, I assumed your site
was down. Then, I adjusted my browser privacy setting as your automated
notice suggested (this was your deception). When that didn’t work, I
e-mailed my buddy to see whether he could log on. He was able to do so.
Then, I got suspicious, so I searched for my own profile and found that you
had deleted it. Such a delayed search was the only way I could find out!

The next day, I attempted to register another profile, several times, using
three new usernames. Each of them worked for less than an hour, but I did
not get the administrative deletion message when I searched for each of
those names after they had been deleted. All I got was a deadend, without
any explanation. The first thing I did with the first two new profiles was
to contact all the people I had been commmunicating with, to explaine what
had happened, so I wouldn’t leave them hanging. But, obviously, none of them
got my note because my e-mail was automatically deleted with my profile,
immediately after I sent it.

Consequently, you left about a dozen of my friends hanging, in addition to
many more whom I had contacted for the first time. You therefore damaged
many relationships, frustrated many people, and destroyed the investment we
had made in our relationships, and destroyed the investment of my time I had
made in writing my profile and searching for prospects.

On or about July 4, 2006, I e-mailed your Tech. Support Dept., asking them
why I had been terminated. I have not received any response. I saw no other
recourse posted on your website at that time.

You owe me and my friends better treatment than this. You owe the People of
the United States better treatment. You brag on your website that you are
the largest free dating website, and that you rank #5 overall. Therefore,
you have the responsibility to treat users fairly and to give them proper
notice and explanation of membership termination, because such termination
limits their alternatives to the extent that you brag about, yourself. As
you should know, a provider in a monopoly position, such as yourself, has a
special duty and responsibility to the public.

Your actions are unfair, irresponsible, reckless and monopolistic.

It appears that your business model exploits certain dynamics that drive
your business, to the extreme extent that you unfairly and unlawfully
discriminate against male members to maximize the number of female members
and your advertising revenue. This business is driven by ads posted by
female members, which attract men who respond to initiate contact. Females
initiate only a small fraction of contacts, as you know from your own
statistics. Such facts mirror the real world outside of the Internet.

Consequently, you do anything you can to retain female members to the extent
that you pander to them by terminating male members whenever they get a
certain minimum number of complaints from females, regardless of the merit
of the complaints. However, it’s obvious that you don’t do the same for
complaints by males, as indicated by your unresponsiveness to my complaints
about females who have obviously fraudulent or absurd ads. Some of those ads
are duplicates (they even log on to both profiles in rapid succession). Some
of them state absurdly wide or narrow age ranges. Some are generally absurd
and frivolous. Some are masseuses looking for business. Some are
18-year-olds looking for 55-year-old sugardaddies. Some are obviously
prostitutes. Many of them misstate their height (e.g., they list their
height at 6′, but say they are 5′5″ in their description). I’ve notified you
of many such ads, but you have failed to respond to any of my complaints.

It appears that you program your computers to automatically terminate male
members whenever a minimum number of female members complain, regardless of
the merit of the complaint. In my case, you terminated me at 8:57 PM (your
time) on Tuesday night, July 3, 2006 during a 4th of July weekend. I doubt
anyone was working at POF then, so it appears this process was done
automatically by computer.

I understand that you run this website with only two employees: you and your
wife. But such a low-cost business model is no excuse to discriminate
against male members and to deny them due process. If you don’t have the
resources to handle complaints fairly, you should simply advise complainants
to block mail from members they don’t like, as Matchdoctor.com does.
Complainants don’t have to read mail or profiles they don’t like. As soon as
they read something they don’t like, they need only move on to the next one.

Therefore, terminating male members, based merely upon the number of
popularity votes by female members, is unnecessarily retaliatory,
contemptuous, discriminatory and undemocratic. And it’s unlawful.

You break the law by discriminating against males, defrauding males, and by
knowingly and intentionally allowing fraudulent
ads of female members to remain posted.

You unnecessarily destroy relationships and destroy the investment of time
male members have made in your website. Ironically, you also destroy
investments your female members have made in relationships with male
members. Their male friends just suddenly disappear, without explanation.
You just leave them hanging. They are frustrated and saddened, and the men
appear to have abandoned them, without explanation. That’s de facto
defamation against male members.

And, obviously, your allegation that only 0.5% of your members are
terminated is false, given the circumstances of my termination. I used no
obscene language, nor did I post an obscene profile. And you can’t show why
my profile or written statements are unlawful. Therefore, if you terminate
men like me, you must terminate a much higher % of male members than you
state you do. That’s fraud, too.

And my style of communicating is nothing like the widespread unethical,
sexist, anti-social, psychotic, irrational behavior I have observed among
your female members. And those are the people who seek to retaliate against
men by clicking on the “abuse” button.

Your Terms of Use are stated so vaguely that they would allow you to
arbitrarily terminate any member for any reason. For example, anyone might
interpret any statement as “mean” or “offensive.” Anytime anyone expresses
an opinion about anything, someone will be offended.

The fact that the largest free dating website in the U.S. is allowed to post
and execute such sloppy, primitive, ignorant and unlawful Terms of Use is a
travesty.

The fact that you don’t charge a membership fee is irrelevant. You
monopolize your market, and you deny arbitrarily terminated male members any
viable alternative. You have already put such alternatives out of business,
or you have taken so much market share from them that they aren’t viable
alternatives. Ironically, you created your own argument against your
actions.

In addition to the above violations, you perpetrate racketeering, in
violation of U.S. Federal RICO Statutes.

Two of your competitors, Yahoo and Match.com are being sued by many parties
for perpetrating violations of law similar to yours.

Therefore, if you fail to reinstate my membership, by Wednesday, July 12,
2006, I will take the following legal action against you:

I will file complaints with the following government agencies:

1. All 50 U.S. State Attorneys General

2. The U.S. Attorney of Phoenix, AZ.

3. Various government agencies in Canada

4. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission

5. The U.S. Dept. of Justice.

6. The FBI.

Also, I will solicit similarly terminated former male members to participate
in a class-action lawsuit against you. I will be using the same attorneys
who are suing your competitors.

Time is of the essence. I am losing friends and romantic opportunities as
you read this, and my damages continue to mount.

Sincerely,

Shawn Mattson, XWallstreeter

Comment by Sharon
2007-12-14 00:00:48

Shawn Mattson-

I’d like to join you to bring this idiot down.

IM gensha_2001

I already get moron spam there so not concerned about more idiot spammers.

Comment by Shawn Mattson Subscribed to comments via email
2008-05-26 23:44:12

Sharon,

Thanks for your support. I can’t IM you. My direct e-mail is mattson3 at earthlink dot net.

Shawn

Comment by John Subscribed to comments via email
2007-12-26 21:13:44

I’m with you Gensha and Shawn! Please add me on Y*hoo Mssnger and let me know what is going on with this (or horse_06@yahoo.com for MSN/WLM)

Comment by Yen
2008-05-27 19:13:50

WOw, I think it’s not simple that it was saying in interview!

Comment by John Subscribed to comments via email
2008-09-03 02:01:04

I agree with you guys on here, I posted on http://www.topdatingpicks.com if you’d like to read my review there Plenty of Fish is in my opinion a loser, pathetic and biased against males.

Lets take him down, make him spend some of his earned cash from he generates from us, the members that click over to other sites.