Research: The self-employed are much happier

April 14, 2006 by

If you are planning to work for yourself, (perhaps working full time and making a living off the Internet) you may end up being happier according to research.

I couldn’t agree more. I am a full timer myself, and I have been self employed for over eight years now. I know I wouldn’t be as happy if I were to work for other people right now. Long hours are no deterrent for me to be self employed as long as I’m satisfy with my work.

The article also mentioned:

The self-employed work longer hours for lower wages than their wage-slave counterparts.

For lower wages? When one started off, that statement could be true.

However I believe, in general self employed earn more than their wage-slave counterparts. At least from where I live, that’s the situation here.

In Malaysia, the ability to earn in US dollars from the Internet can propel your income level above that typically earned by the average wage earners who might have the same experience as you.

Of course there are some exceptions but in general I believe that’s how things are in Malaysia.

What do you think?

[via WebPublishing Blog]

Comments

Comment by pinolobu
2006-04-14 23:37:00

1 you mean you’ve been supporting yourself mostly from income from internet for the last 8 years?
2 in KL, if you are at executive level working for a listed malaysian company (your age at late 20s til mid30s) you would be earning RM4,000-RM6,000 per month. You’re saying you’re making more than that bracket?

2006-04-14 23:42:39

1. Yes. But the first two years was not in full throttle. :)
2. Yes

Comment by pinolobu
2006-04-20 13:10:55

thats heartening. thanks for sharing.

Comment by Paul Tan
2006-07-02 04:57:02

I’ve been self employed for 5 years. Never been happier!

Comment by ahwong5
2006-07-20 01:14:32

To Sabahan: Hi, you are new to me or vice versa…may i know what internet business are you running now apart from blogging? Just my curiosity as i was started my internet business as part-timer 6 months ago, has strong desire to be a full timer in 1-year time…. :)

Comment by Wang Internet
2006-07-27 16:49:15

After reading posts from Sabahan.com I have started a site of my own. Thanks for the useful tips Sabaha… Hopefully I can be full time too!