Affiliate Marketing in Asia

April 25, 2006 by

Chris Sanderson over at reveNews has written an interesting article about the state of affiliate marketing in Asia.

According to him most Asian merchants prefer to manage their affiliate marketing program in house, instead of turning to networks like that of CJ.com and Linkshare.com.

I agree with him. I’ve never came across an established affiliate marketing network that caters towards Asian merchants from several different countries at once.

In Malaysia, most affiliate programs that I’ve found were managed in house. Because of this, the quality of each program varies widely from one to the next and looking for good merchants can be frustrating.

One of the reasons why it’s harder to manage affiliate marketing in Asia is because of the language barrier.

The challenge to mange an Asia program doesn’t stop with the content though, nope if you launch a program for a site that has 5 languages, well you’re going to need Affiliate Managers that can support affiliates fluently in 5 languages too, that can answer questions, help newbies and work out why the Korean guy running a data feed for Chinese tourists is having problems with his character sets. You have multi currency payments. How to handle affiliate fraud across multiple countries, e-commerce laws, national censorship and plenty of other little issues that make Asia one of the most complicated places to market anything, never mind run an affiliate program.

Read full post: Affiliate Marketing in Asia, Part 1 of several dozen

Comments

Comment by LcF
2006-04-25 10:43:47

well, CJ.com does NOT accept Malaysians.

2006-04-25 13:04:28

Yea I know, too bad right. But guess what? I am a member of CJ!

Anyway this article is not about CJ, it’s about affiliate marketing in Asia in general.

Comment by doraemon
2006-04-25 15:06:16

are you asking someone to register a member for you in CJ??

2006-04-25 15:09:57

Er.. I don’t recall asking people to do that in the article :) As I said this article is about affiliate marketing in Asia, not CJ.

My point is there’s no affiliate networks in Asia that cater several countries at once. Not like CJ in the US.

I hope it’s clear now and I hope I won’t have to repeat that again. :)

Comment by The Secret Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-12 18:27:19

Hello Gaman, I am first time here at your blog

Are you Chinese literate? Do you know anything about Chinese Affiliate Marketing thing? Bcoz I am stepping into this area.

2007-10-12 20:42:17

Sorry, I don’t read Chinese.