How MFA (Made For AdSense) Sites Make Money

June 26, 2006 by

I was searching for “paint sample” at Google when I noticed most of the sponsored links are nothing more than MFA (Made For AdSense) sites.

paint-sample.gif

MFA sites are sites with very little content or sometimes none at all. It’s typically made by scraping content from other websites and litters their pages with ads from Google AdSense to make money.

These sites make money by exploiting the AdSense ranking factors, which are the click through rate and cost. If the ad manages to get a high click-through rate, it’ll cost less to appear higher on the page.

I am sure Google is very much aware of this problem and most probably is doing something to stop this.

In the mean time, people continue to make money from MFA sites. Not that I recommend you to jump ship, unless you want to get banned from AdSense.

Some people are making as much as $10,000 per month from MFA spending 65 minutes of their time to do the followings to get started with their spamming campaign:

1. Find an expensive and popular keyword. We used TheDowser Niche Database . It took us 1 minute.
  2. Register a junk domain like "top4websites.com" or "insurancetop4.com". We haven’t ordered any domain specifically for this purpose, but used one of our experimental domains (totally unrelated to the main theme of MFA web site).
  3. Extract search results from Google or any other search engine. It took us 5 minutes.
  4. Create HTML page with these search results. It took us 7 minutes.
  5. Insert Google AdSense code in the way that search results aren’t visible without scrolling. It took us 10 minutes.
  6. Upload html file to your web site. It took us 2 minutes.
  7. Create a new Google AdWords campaign for this keyword by copying any other MFA campaign. It took us 10 minutes.
  8. Wait for 15 minutes until you will see first clicks from Google AdWords, wait for another 15 minutes until you will see new clicks on Google AdSense.

No don’t do this. It’s for informational purpose only…

Read more: Crazy AdSense Experiment: Unethical But Legal $10,000/Month

Comments

Comment by Thilak
2006-06-28 06:07:32

Nice Reasearch !! Keep it up

2006-06-28 12:07:17

I wasn’t researching keyword, I was really looking for a paint sample actually :) when I stumble upon those ads.

Comment by adsense tips
2007-02-07 09:16:28

This move will purify the web.But google has less options when it comes to natural search results.Keyword optimized pages will rank higher and will get more results.

MFA sites are increasing.If google has to control it ,it has to come up with new search algorithm.

Comment by JustVisitor
2007-12-03 12:28:08

You look like a descent and honest person but the true you are not.
You also try to get money from the advertiser pocket. Even if you build a rich content (or what you say helpful) webpage, you don’t build it for charity.
Come on!!! Be honest you write this article to get more visitors and get more money from Google ads

Comment by Harry
2007-12-04 01:58:01

The MFA system exists because Google lives from it and because people are stupid enough to click these ads. Of course I do not like any parked pages or MFA pages, but I (almost) never click Google ads, so it only bothers me when I find MFA pages directly in Google’s search results. I do not really care about Google ads shown, I actually cannot see them. Anyway I understand that the advertisers who pay Google are screwed, because they pay for nothing…

2008-01-22 15:37:17

It sure is enticing…

Comment by Phoenix Subscribed to comments via email
2009-01-16 17:46:00

What about free articles? Like articlebase dot com? I have a plan to create subdomain and use the articles to bring more visitors then i’ll add the adsense. Is that called made for adsense too?

2009-08-07 19:56:32

Hi Phoenix

That is also made for adsense sites, and you will get banned from adsense.

Comment by Bugivugi
2010-07-12 23:08:37

Hi all

Wath about ADwors cost?

Comment by Marco Lee
2010-12-01 18:40:13

okay so how do I make one? LOL

Comment by Wilson
2011-01-03 10:47:33

I get the picture what happened back then from your write up.

I guess Google has done a lot of cleaning up now. Most of the sites you mentioned were MFA previously are now legitimate site, thedowser is a blank site when I visit it.

2011-03-09 19:33:24

I dont really like just mfa sites, if a site havent good information to deserve a good place in the SERP, google should deindex that site + bann it.

anyway, thank you for this great article.

Comment by zhang
2012-03-05 21:16:45

agreed, but they still make money from it , that is more important fact.