What the world would be like without Google

July 5, 2006 by

GoogleSystem has listed several interesting scenarios if Google didn’t exist.

One thing for sure, if there’s no Google, then AdSense would not exist.

People from developing countries has been profiting tremendously from Google AdSense. While a USD100 per month in earnings may not be worth the trouble to a blogger in Manhattan, it can mean the world to a blogger in India or Manila.

ford-escape.jpg

From a Malaysian perspective, income from AdSense allows me to do more things and helps reduce the burden of paying the car loan. Some of my income from AdSense has helped me in my Ford Escape 2.0 downpayment.

I’ve personally made over RM100,000 since 2003 from Google AdSense alone so without Google, earning this extra income won’t be possible.

Here’s the entire list:

* our mail account would still have 2MB or 4MB of storage and we would be happy about that.

* we would find a mail by manually reviewing each subject and sender.

* we would pay for software like Picasa, Keyhole (now Google Earth), Sketchup.

* many startups would not exist without Google AdSense, so there would be less innovation.

* Opera would still be shareware and ad-supported.

* our homepage would be a portal, or about:blank.

* our search engines would be cluttered, would mix ads with organic results and wouldn’t care about the users.

* we wouldn’t look for a search bar in every site.

* we would think beta software is just for the testers and it’s dangerous.

* technology news would be less exciting.

and there would probably be less millionaires working at Internet companies outside of Microsoft too.

Comments

Comment by boringest
2006-07-05 15:55:13

think mozilla foundation wouldn’t be surviving either, and there probably won’t be an seo industry!

2006-07-05 16:29:52

Mozilla actually was founded before Google became a major Internet powerhouse. It’s a non-profit organization so it doesn’t need Google to survive.

SEO would exist as long as there’s a search engine, as it has been, long before Google even existed!

Comment by e-tech
2006-07-05 19:23:53

Intresting indeed.
Just show’s you one 1 company can do..amazing.

Comment by Pinvader
2006-07-06 05:21:07

woo..RM100,000 since 2003. That’s a lot

Comment by pinolobu
2006-07-06 13:11:45

So everytime I see a Ford Escape 2.0 in KK I would think it’s you :-)

RM100K from Adsense alone in 3 years is not only unprecedented, it is unheard of in The Land Below the Wind, if not in the whole of Malaysia! Even now, most Sabahans have never even heard of it.

Now, I have contacts in the media. Would you like an exclusive interview in local/national papers or even TV spot regarding your internet exploits? Then you can rant on about the recent “ICT grads the least bankable” and how these clueless grads are not tapping into the Net’s huge potential……

2006-07-06 15:06:41

pinolobu, thanks for the compliment :) But I think there are other individuals who are making more money from AdSense than myself in Malaysia. Perhaps they prefer to keep it to themselves.

I agree with you that Internet potential in Malaysia hasn’t been realized. Most ICT grads are clueless, what they need is someone to show them the way. BTW, I am actually an engineer by qualification and mostly self taught about everything I know about programming and Internet marketing. If I can do it, every ICT grads can do it too!