Sabahan.com Is Now Number One

July 11, 2006 by

That is, number one for the keyword “sabahan” at Google search engine results page (SERP)!

While occupying the top spot for the keyword does not bring me a torrent of visitors, I am still glad that I’ve achieved the goal I’ve set recently which was to get the number one spot for the keyword ‘sabahan’ in Google before the end of this year.

It goes to say that it’s still possible to get the top spots in SERPs for a single dictionary word if you do it right. But off course it’s also largely depends on the competition in your area.

Some may argue that anybody can rank easily if the target keyword is included in the domain name. Unfortunately, that’s not always true considering that Google uses over one hundreds, on and off page criteria to rank a page.

In some cases, some people are complaining that they are losing in brand name rankings in the SERPs, so having your brand name in the domain does not always help.

Anyway, in my case though, instead of worrying about the technical sides of SEO such as keywords density, proximity, prominence etc, I simply set up my blog so that it’s search engine friendly with these plugins for WordPress.

Then I concentrate on creating quality content. After a while I noticed people start linking to Sabahan.com, either directly to the homepage or to any article that they find interesting. I am sure this has helped Sabahan.com in securing the top spot in Google SERP for the keyword ‘sabahan’.

Comments

Comment by ShaolinTiger
2006-07-11 13:26:49

I didn’t know Sabahan was a dictionary word ;)

2006-07-11 13:37:00

It is, perhaps currently not in every dictionary :)

Comment by Deeroy
2006-07-11 19:57:14

I don’t mean to spoil the party but i think its no big feat.Why? cause your domain name points that exact keyword.All you need to do is enlist yourself in any directory and google’s spider would crawl and indexed it in no time.Easy peasy…You don’t really need to sweat it out.Now try for “sabah”…then go for “east malaysia” or “Borneo”.Anyways congrats on your current achivements.

2006-07-11 20:13:57

Which party are you talking about? :)

Why sabah.com is not number one for the keyword “sabah”? Or borneo.com for “borneo”? According to you it should be easy peasy right? Sarawak.com is no where to found in the top 10 for the keyword “sarawak”. You are contradicting yourself here.

Let me give you some more examples: search for “click here” or “here

You’ll see that both searches return no domains containing any of the keywords! One thing for sure clickhere.com is listed in several important directories but it does not even listed in the top 100 in Google SERPs.

Trust me I have several websites listed in Yahoo (let alone any directory) and I’m paying USD598 per year and none of them are listed on the front page for the targeted keywords in their domain. So don’t confuse yourself with the outdated directory trick. Even Yahoo itself is losing its importance.

BTW, sabahan.com is not actually listed in any directory.

If SEO is that easy, I would be a millionaire by now hehe.

Comment by Deeroy
2006-07-11 20:56:57

Well sorry if that really sounds like a personal attack.I wasn’t really trying to get into any rumble.What I’m trying to say is having a domain name to an exact keyword and having it rank is quite easy than not having that particular domain name.I’m not really a “dunggu” and i know there lots of other websites that aren’t listed even having that certain keyword in their domain name.Sarawak.com and borneo.com just not doing enough to get themselves listed.Anyways a big achivement would be getting top ranking in really popular keywords.What do you mean yahoo is losing it’s importance? It’s still the No1 search engine for many countries.Yahoo losing its place on Google is because of it’s a competetive nature to what Google actually is.There are already sites who’s complaining about this.Some even went all the way to court.It’s Google’s policy not to guarentee any listing position.
I’m not sure if the directory trick is outdated as it works for me and I did it less than a month ago.I am rank fourth for a certain popular keyword that have 72 million related pages.In fact i tried it with my simple blog and it got me listed with many keywords.That’s my side of the story.What to do…can’t afford USD 598 just like that.If Sabahan.com is not listed in any directory then how the heck i got into this blog then?I don’t remember typing Sabahan on Google and I am sure as heck didn’t get here through any search engine.It doesn’t have to be a directory “literally” ,any link somewhere as long as it can be spidered.Thank You .

2006-07-11 21:49:15

Don’t worry I know you are just giving your opinion, which is always encouraged here :)

Anyway, I think the problem lies in this statement:

People have to forgo the idea that having their targeted keyword in the domain will make it easy for them to secure the top spot in the search engine. If everything else remains the same, keyword in the domain name has it advantages, but saying it’s easy is quite misleading.

I understand that. Keyword popularity is one thing, but its competitiveness is another thing all together. I used to be listed in the top 10 for the keywords “free mp3”, mp3” on the second page. Imagine the amount of traffic they had brought me.

Currently one of my sites is listed in the top 10 for keywords “freebies” and “free money”.

What do you mean yahoo is losing it’s importance?

I mean a Yahoo directory listing is losing its importance. It brings miniscule amount of traffic. Pages are cloaked unless when they are served to Googlebot to pass on PR, that’s black hat!

Actually you are not competing with 72 million pages. It just happens that the keyword is mentioned in 72 million pages, whether it’s targeted or not. My site is in top 10 for “free money” where there are close to a billion related pages, 925 million to be exact.

I am listed in Google under many keywords. I ‘m not listed in any specific directory. Perhaps you mean a site?

Comment by Deeroy
2006-07-11 22:49:12

Urghh…
Here we go again..
1)When I say its quite easy i really mean it.the are two things to see this…if your domain name is that particular exact word and that word ain’t popular then its easy.But if that keyword is general like spy than spy.com might run out losers to the CIA.
2)So what’s ur point exactly?Isn’t it known that for popular keyword we should expect higher competitiveness.By the way i agree that having top 10 for mp3 is an achivement.Thanks for highlighting it for all of us.
3)I agree with you on that Yahoo is losing it,but it still should not be totaly ignored.
4)When i say that it have 72 related million pages i exactly know what that means…Sorry didn’t really put it clearly.Just don’t assume everyone’s internet illiterate.Thanks again for highlighting that you are better than me.I never doubt that a bit.Im just putting my blog’s status as an example that’s all.
5)I think the term site is too general to be used here as a directory itself can be a site…don’t you agree? So what im trying to say is as long there is a link(external) to any site be it portal,blog-tal,aggregators or just simply another blog as long as the bots can spider it.Once ur site is spidered then it will be index and would some time(depends) to be listed.I’ve got mine listed in about 1 and a half month.
So lets sum this up.
Lets say i want to target keyword sarawakian.
1) Buy http://www.sarawakian.com (checked)
2) Add related content plus all old or new school stuffs i.e
metatags,description..blah..blah(checked)
3)Get external links..Since no one will simply add u to their site, the best alternative is directories( I submit as many as I can except some suspicious ones that sends you crap feedback emails) as they will accept you with open arms.This method is better and faster than to manually submit to search engine.(checked)
4)Wait….(checked)
5)Once get listed…brag about how difficult it is and if it is any easier you would be a millionaire(assuming you are the only smart clunk on this planet) and how people should worship you as SEO guru.(checked)
Thank You.That would be all.

2006-07-11 23:29:23

Isn’t that my point earlier? But keep in mind that keyword in the domain is just one of the hundereds criteria used to rank a page.

In general yes. If you have done keyword research before for PPC search engine like Yahoo Search marketing and AdWords, you should know what I mean.

Yupe. But for specific directory like dmoz, yahoo directory etc, we usually call them directories not sites. I am not listed in such directory.

Lets say i want to target keyword sarawakian…

I love to see you do that :) “sarawakian” is only mentioned in 35,800 pages so it should be easy for you.

I’ve tried experimenting with/without keywords for close to 50 domains but that’s nothing to brag about. I am no expert, but I know what I am talking about because I’ve done it many times before. In fact, getting the number one spot for sabahan is one of the straight forward one and I am not even listed in any directory, at least not at the moment, now that’s the trick for you :)

According to you, all I have to do is get links from directories and I’ll get the number one spot for sure. I wish SEO is that easy and I’d be a millionaire in no time hehe. But sorry to break it to you, it’s not always easy peasy like that.

In the end, all I’m saying.

Comment by Deeroy
2006-07-12 00:01:33

I agree with you on that.I’m really sorry if I was harsh in any way.Just couldn’t take it when somebody says i’m contradicting myself when all I’m trying to do is state my view.What I’m saying is we want to hear big things from you coz we expect more.Anywayz i tried checking on keywords and matching domains.Seems its easier when it is a single word e.g wired,astro etc.Sabahan seems to be easy as only 116,000 pages contains such word.Agree?

2006-07-12 00:23:32

Agree especially if you are Wired, Astro etc. Those are specific brand names from companies with big marketing budget.

Anybody can rank for the keyword “uyihioad”, or “mytoprankingsite” as an example because they’re totally unique. But sabahan is a dictionary word and I am just glad that I could intentional secure the number one spot when just a few weeks ago I was not number one. This is one of the easier one compare to other domains that I’ve experimented with.

2006-07-13 01:20:31

BTW, I actually look further beyond the number of pages when gauging the competition in a particular niche. Easy is a relative term. The main question should be who are we competing with.

Actually you’ve given me an idea for my next post. Thanks mate.

Comment by ahwong5
2006-07-19 02:57:40

Sabahan, are you local people from Sabah?? i guess so… :)

2006-07-19 09:07:04

Yes I am :)

Comment by surfaddict
2006-08-08 23:51:03

hai sabahan…omedeto gozaimasu…keep your PR up and up..

Comment by admin
2007-01-15 20:22:18

You’ll be 100% in Google’s search result frontpage as long as you find a keyword exactly as your domain name and you use .com domain name extension…. sure you’ll be at least no. 2 in the ranking….

2007-01-15 21:07:09

That’s quite incorrect. Quick examples:

From the examples, sarawak.com is not even in the top 40 and sarawak.net is ranked higher. I can give thousands of other examples like this where a keyword.com is not even in the top 100.

Sadly, .com does not help you rank better. I have many .net websites that are ranked better than their .com counterparts. As I said before keyword(s) in the domain name is not the holy grail of SEO, and newbies have to realise this.

Comment by mr_ombak
2007-01-17 20:40:01

even this is an lod post, but i just want to give my own opinion. gaman, you’re good in this. i agree with your last comment.
“.com does not help you rank better”

now think about problogger.net (it’s .net, not .com!)