Where Have I Been Lately?

August 10, 2006 by

I am still here. Just that things have been a little hectic for the past few weeks here.

I’ve been helping out my parent renovating and designing an extension to their house to accommodate a new kitchen and two more rooms.

While the builders are building the extension, I’ll have to keep an eye to make sure things are done as planned.

On the business side, we are in the final stages of releasing the new version of one of our software. The product’s website and documentation are nearing completion and some bugs are still being ironed out. Hopefully we’ll be able to meet the deadline this time if no new major bugs discovered.

The little time that I have left has been spent answering customer support emails.

Unfortunately, blogging has to take the back seat but this situation is temporarily. For the time being, I’ll update my blog as time permits.

Talking about designing the house extension, I’ve been playing with Google SketchUp, the free 3D modeling program from Google and it has helped a lot in visualizing and planning things in advance.

On first glance, Google SketchUp interface feels too basic to accommodate even my small design project. But on further examination, I found a plethora of tools and features hidden under the hood, which are more that enough to help me in my design project.

The learning curve for Google SketchUp is not as steep as what I had expected. In fact, it’s so easy to learn, I started the house remodeling design a few hours after downloading the software. I guess that’s not surprising considering Google is famous for releasing functional and easy to use software.

You can use SketchUp to model various 3D objects from a simple room to a structure as complex as the Petronas Twin Tower. But if you want to do the latter, you better have the most powerful computer to work with :)

Check out and download Google SketchUp here.

Comments

Comment by pinolobu
2006-08-11 01:25:56

i’m designing my own house (i think version 3 already now), but that dept dealing with land is moving slower than a snail. spent more than 10K already on “timbun tanah”. Expecting more than double that on piling and the legal things. Not even a house in sight and already so much money to be spent.

i think i’ve seen some of your s/w products. got some questions: you did those after learning about s/w development on your own? u used VB to do those? they’re impressive – got so much competition tho.

2006-08-11 13:25:53

I agree. Designing and building a house can be a nightmare especially when you have to deal with all the bureaucracy.

I am a self taught programmer and do most of the software development myself. It’s never too late to learn new skills even after college because the reward can be substantial in the end.

I did contract out some programming jobs to free up my time so that I could do other important things such as creating websites and promoting etc. I’m mainly into VB. But will have to upgrade to C# and .NET stuff soon.

Competition is always there. My products come with UPS – or unique selling preposition. I try to differentiate my software from my competitiors in terms of features, price etc.

One thing that I’ve learned from the software business.. you do not have to create a perfect software, you just have to create software that people want.

But that’s not to say we can get away with buggy software. Debugging is an ongoing process of course.

Comment by colbert
2006-08-12 12:37:24

glad to see you are still around …..take care..

Comment by john
2006-08-16 23:19:20

Im no more time to start everything Im make only adsense :

Comment by sham
2006-08-20 14:07:40

Sometimes its hard to desingning our..If put something at that corner and then..no,no,no..not suit there..put over there..that’s my mom..:P..I’m still single.:)

Comment by Mr.Wealth
2006-09-10 22:13:26

thanks for your info about google sketchUp. I had never heard before…