Sabahan.com Upgraded To WordPress 2.1

February 2, 2007 by

Yes finally, I’ve upgraded Sabahan.com to WordPress 2.1.

Everything including my plugins seems to be working fine except some hiccup in the Categories section and Blogroll.

After the upgrade, I noticed the following error raised from the Categories section.

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1]
SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM

A member of WordPress.org points out that $wpdb->linkcategories returns a NULL value in WordPress 2.1, hence breaking the SQL query.

There’s a simple fix to get around this problem. All you have to do is change the following code

$wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM $wpdb->linkcategories");

To this

$wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM $wpdb->categories WHERE link_count > 0")

And for the Blogroll, I have found a fix for this but it breaks my template’s CSS formatting. So I’ve temporarily removed the Blogroll until I get around to fixing it.

Basically WordPress 2.1 uses a new function, wp_list_bookmarks(), to display the Blogroll links which was not available in WordPress 2.0. This new function displays bookmarks found in the Bookmarks Management screen.

More discussion about this here.

update: Alternatively, you can use get_links_list() to display your Blogroll.

If you haven’t upgraded your installation to WordPress 2.1, I highly recommend it. Besides the feature enhancements, there are over 500 bugs fixes included in this release.

Note that you will need PHP version 4.2 or greater and MySQL version 4.0 or greater in order to install WordPress 2.1. There an easily to follow, step-by-step upgrade instructions here.

I am still trying to make sure this upgrade doesn’t break any functionality at Sabahan.com. If you find something is not working as it should, please let me know

Comments

Comment by Joneh
2007-02-02 01:35:35

Great isn’t it? I especially like the upload, browse all thing.It group the pictures in pages 1,2 etc. and best of all, it loads my blog faster than ever. I thought you all never wanna upgrade. My hiccup was with the Page-navi plugin. now updated, it works faster than ever. I use fantatisco upgrade link. faster and reliable.

Comment by Joneh
2007-02-02 01:39:30

just for info… i got this message the moment i click the “Add comment” icon.

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 438

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments.php:438) in /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-comments-post.php on line 55

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments.php:438) in /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-comments-post.php on line 56

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments.php:438) in /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-comments-post.php on line 57

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments.php:438) in /home/virtual/site28/fst/var/www/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 275

I thought my comment not in, so i reload the page and click “add comment” again. it says duplicate or double posting. i end up reloading the whole thing and true, the comment already in. but funny got the error message above!??

2007-02-02 01:50:36

Thanks Joneh, I’ll check this out.

2007-02-02 16:06:40

I’ve updated the subscribe to comments plugin , it should work now.

2007-02-02 01:54:08

OK I’ve disabled the Subscribe To Comment plugin, I think that’s the culprit.

2007-02-02 10:10:55

i had no problem, maybe because I do not have the plugin

Comment by Lorna
2007-02-02 11:30:03

My upgrade went flawlessly. I think my the best thing about this latest version is that I noticed my pages loaded up quicker than before — must be those improved SQL queries they were talking about.

Comment by Joneh
2007-02-02 17:30:41

as long as you deactivate your current plugin and backup(this just for your own good), doing it through fantatisco is as smooth as criminal(M. Jackson) :D

But some plugin author/programmer didn’t even update their plugins..so some may not work. thats the sad part. :cry: