Getting Ready For Vista Ultimate

March 16, 2007 by

Sooner or later I’ll have to upgrade my operating system to Microsoft’s latest OS – Windows Vista. As a software developer it’s important for me to ensure that all my software are compatible with this latest operating system.

I also love to get my hands on this sparkling new OS and experience the striking eye candy together with all its new features.

So in anticipation to this move, I’ve decided to upgrade my computer’s hardware one at a time. Today I’ve added a pair of 1GB Kingston 667 RAM into the empty memory slots on my motherboard, upping my total RAM from 1 GB to 3 GB.

A 1 GB Kingston costs around RM270+ in KK, but I managed to get it for RM240 from Mid Valley in KL by asking my sister to buy it for me when she was there recently.

vista.jpg

I could have waited for a few months for the price to go down further but if I choose to do that, I might just as well wait until next year but what’s the point? I’ve waited long enough and the cost of RAM now days is quite cheap already.

With 3GB on board, I immediately noticed a significant improvement in performance especially while running CPU intensive applications.

It’s like a breath of fresh air really.

Now I can run Norton Internet Security full system scan along side disk defragmentation and still able to continue working with several office apps and surf the web via multiple tabs browsing without any noticeable slow down.

Next to be replaced will be my graphic card. There’s nothing wrong with it – except that it’s getting less impressive performance wise compare to the latest crop of graphic cards.

I would like to have the best card I can afford. I am currently using a 128MB Radeon X800 SE.

My computer was like a state of the art when it was purchased it in 2004. I just hope my 3.2 GHz P4 processor could handle Vista Ultimate without the urgent need to upgrade to a beefier dual core processor. I know it could but most would recommend running Vista on a system equipped with a dual core processor.

My only concern after the upgrade would be hardware and software compatibility issues. Security wise, it’s still early to tell if Vista is really as secure as Microsoft would like us to believe.

In the mean time I’ll go ahead upgrading my hardware and enjoy the improvement in performance before taking the plunge later.

Have you upgraded or currently using Windows Vista? Feel free to share your experience in the comment section.

Comments

Comment by Edward
2007-03-16 23:35:44

I want also but it’s very expensive leh …

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2007-03-17 00:22:42

my AMD 64MK36 1GB DDR2 RAM laptop is ready according to Windows Vista Upgrade advisor. But seeing yours with 3GB RAM, it shouldn’t be a problem. you need to check it though using the upgrade advisor. It gives u peace of mind. I think im gonna wait for awhile. Microsoft known for its buggie OS. So i just wait. i have no worry.

2007-03-17 00:54:42

Vista should run on 1GB without problem. 2GB is the ideal amount for business use, and you’ll hit Vista’s RAM sweet spot when you have 4GB.

Just checked with Upgrade Advisor and as expected my computer can run Vista without further upgrade. I’m still thinking of getting my hands on a new graphic card though. Good for playing latest games smoothly. :)

On second thought, I think I might opt for Vista Business.

Comment by Freeze
2007-03-17 08:11:28

I’m planning to buy a new laptop with vista rather than upgrade my PC. My PC is an old cock already. Pentium III hihihi…Even though laptop is more expensive but at least I still can do my work when I “balik kampung”

Thinking of buying Dell Inspiron 640m and customise it to have 2GB but Dell doesn’t come with good graphic card. Any idea people on what brand/model I should buy? thanks..

Comment by Bent Subscribed to comments via email
2007-03-17 10:16:48

Sadly, My computer still using xp since 2000 with 512 DDR Ram and 1.6 GHz P4 processor.Maybe i need to upgrade my pc soon..?

Comment by Sajid Iqbal
2007-03-18 15:53:53

Aha! nice to know you are gonna upgrade. But definitely you will need to upgrade all of your softwares from Office to Graphics softwares. What about those? Wouldn’t this cost you too much?

2007-03-18 16:03:42

who says you need to upgrade all the office and graphic software? That’s totally unnecessary actually.

Try this

Comment by Azmeen
2007-03-18 23:59:31

Who says you need to upgrade to Vista anyway? :)

Typical Microsoft bloat, more useless eyecandy, more forced hardware upgrades… and yet, same old security issues :)

Personally, I’m already using a better operating system. What my company does with their XP installation is entirely its own business although I hope they won’t be upgrading anytime soon.

Frankly, Vista just doesn’t seem a worthwhile upgrade for those already on XP for now.

2007-03-19 00:05:33

I have no choice because I just have to :)

But those who’s not in my position should stay with XP – at least for now.

The jury is still out on the security part.

Comment by lyndonmaxewell
2007-03-20 02:11:41

There is a joke on it, the only Ultimate thing about the Vista Ultimate is its price. Besides the point, I just bought a new laptop which is Vista Home Premium. Vista is cool!

Comment by toxicle
2007-03-25 09:45:06

I’ve been using Vista for a few weeks and I must say … it sucks. Resources intensive … my new notebook feels like my old notebook running XP … so I’m thinking of downgrading.

Also … some apps do not work on Vista :(

Comment by vic
2007-04-11 15:01:24

I say you hold off on Vista. Many general users stuck with Win98 as Win2k, WinNT, etc came out. XP was the OS that Microsoft’s ended up pushing in the end. Vista may have more versions come out or it may have many problems to be worked out before it’s stable enough to use without causing headaches. I haven’t used it myself, so maybe I’m bracing for the worse, but it IS Microsoft, and this coming from a fan of MS. Enjoy your current upgrades, though!

Nationwide VPN

Comment by Johno Subscribed to comments via email
2007-05-03 16:08:16

I really don’t know why people all over the Internet keep slagging off Vista 32 Ultimate. I have it installed on the main PC, Laptop and 2 kid’s PCs. It runs on all perfectly fine. No problems whatsoever with any of them. If you have decent hardware and know what you are doing then all is ok apart from the rip-off prices I paid for Vista!
Many people who are not computer savvy or have an older PC tend to blame Vista for their problems. Vista is absolutely fine apart from a few niggly problems which are too small to really mention.
99% of all my games and apps run on Vista. Only the tiny amount of programs that address the graphics directly are forced to turn off Aero, even that is automatically turned on and off for you.
Some older programs that make changes to the file system, drive etc., firewalls and others are not compatible but most have been updated already.
So please try harder before pushing the blame to Vista or Microsoft. I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but not for their software but their arrogance and pathetic ‘Fill Bill’s big pockets’ unrealistic prices!