My Cat Clicked On My AdSense Ads

March 30, 2007 by

Like all self-respecting and responsible AdSense publishers, I am careful not to click on my own AdSense ads. If I find an ad that interests me, I usually check its URL and type it directly into my browser address bar.

You can also use the Preview Tool to check the destination of ads that are on your page. Ads displayed in the preview tool are in a test state so you don’t have to worry about accidentally clicking on an ad.

But what happen if my cat clicks on my AdSense ad? He likes to sleep on the table where I am working and sometimes do what some cats usually do – play with the mouse and keyboard.

Will Google accept my explanation if I say my cat clicked on my AdSense ads?

mycat2.jpg

I was inspired to post this after I read Philipp Lenssen discussion about clicking own AdSense at Google Blogoscoped. His response to the AdSense clicker cats phenomena is as follows

Your kitten can click on your ads, as it doesn’t own the AdSense account, and you’re not able to judge whether the cat was genuinely interested (because you can’t communicate to your cat about this). However, you are not allowed to throw your kitten on the keyboard, because that would mean you “directly or indirectly generate queries”. And I think it’s against animal rights :)

Comments

Comment by ashotiwoth
2007-03-30 10:39:04

haha… u have a cute cat there… my cat would definitely loved to do the same, but never dare as I would just spank him for doing so since small… so, my cat sleeps on the table, only on chairs occasionally :) but you have an excuse there :) cat clicking on ur adsense… hehehe

Comment by weirdoux
2007-03-30 14:28:44

hah…hah… hah….

gaman,
you just make me laugh laaaa…..!
what a clever cat… well, you should know that your cat need a blog too..!

build one for your cat ….

Comment by Sajid Iqbal
2007-03-30 20:03:33

There must be some clarifications in Google Adsense TOS for this. :) . . .

Comment by Tony
2007-04-01 14:46:22

Hehe, there were some videos on YouTube about kittens being very amused with Apple’s FrontRow (quite cute). One just needs to design a similarly interactive website (with some AdSense ads of course), and let a kitten have a go at it with a touch screen. Congrads, you can now live off off your own, genuinely interested (just look at how excited it is), kitten. :)

Comment by toxicle
2007-04-04 16:24:24

Clear your cookies before letting your cat click :)

Comment by globalhostinggroup
2007-04-05 03:25:57

all right i can train my dog to do this is that accetable :)

Comment by Tony
2007-04-06 03:04:18

Clearly that’s not as cute as an excited kitten. Besides, it would be easier to train one of those “drinking bird” things that tilts back and forth (don’t remember what those are called).

Comment by Melayu Liberal
2007-07-15 23:13:02

That was sarcastic! LOL

Comment by Abdul Rahman
2007-10-19 19:30:25

It’s obvious that your cat doesn’t own that account though you own that cat and maybe you should try to train your cat to click on Adsense ads once everyday. :)

Comment by idotkontji
2009-01-20 04:25:43

wew… nice story… i think u should give ur kitty to me… i think i like it…. puusss,,,, meoooooonnngg…..

Comment by Josephine Muna Subscribed to comments via email
2012-01-29 19:23:22

Ha,ha,ha…thats a cute one.You’ll never know it might click when you’re not looking.