The First Malaysian to Make a Living Working Full time On the Internet

April 9, 2007 by

I was reading LiewCF’s post over at Chitika.com blog where he shares his experience quitting his nine-to-five job in August 2005 and became the first Malaysian professional blogger.

I don’t know if he’s really the first as he claimed to be but he was certainly the most visible full-time blogger in the local blogosphere at that time.

As the owner of the most popular tech blog in Malaysia at LiewCF.com, Liew is no stranger to the local blogosphere.

Talking about working full time on the Internet, I was probably one of the first Malaysian who took the plunge and joined the bandwagon when the make a living from the Internet phenomenon was still in its infancy – especially here in Malaysia.

It’s tempting to claim that I was probably the first full time Malaysian Internet marketer. I don’t know.

Anyway, in 1998, I spent a two month stint in the engineering profession as part of my university industrial training and that’s about it. I’ve never really worked for anybody.

While waiting for replies from my job applications after I graduated, I decided to devote the extra time I had working on my hobby.

I created my first personal websites in 1996 on Geocities.com. After reading a story from a computer magazine that there’s money to be made online – no matter who you are – I started experimenting with making money on the Internet in an effort to get a piece of the pie.

By 1997 I was making a couple of hundreds dollars monthly. Not too shabby considering that I didn’t spend anything to get to that stage.

In 1999 after my graduation, I figured I could make more from my hobby than by working as an engineer. This was further helped by the favorable USD to Ringgit exchange rate.

Then, the rest as they say is history. Here I am today still working full time making a living on the Internet. If I can do it, you can too.

Comments

Comment by LiewCF Subscribed to comments via email
2007-04-09 03:12:34

Thanks for the plug. Yeah, you are the Guru! People tends to give up too early, that’s a big problem.

2007-04-15 15:32:51

I am no Guru – still learning I am :)
I agree, people give up to easily when it was probably their last hurdle to overcome.

Comment by Vincent Chin
2007-11-05 22:25:47

On average how much can you make realistically a month? I am just curious…USD50 is also money made and so is USD5000. What’s a good month like and what’s a bad month like?

Vincent

Comment by metana21
2007-04-09 06:22:30

Semua orang boleh berjaya. Tabik spring ngan Sabahan.com & Liewcf.com

Comment by shueqry
2007-04-09 11:10:34

hi bro, how r u? Shueqry here.. as sabahan, i really proud of you.. so here i am, in Sinsuran, Kota Kinabalu getting online from my little rented room working as internet business owner and an active swimmer..

If you can make it, so do i and other Sabahans. Like metana21 says, semua orang boleh berjaya. People like to give up early because they dont want to work hard..simple..

Tak ramai orang di Sabah ni yang tau kuasa internet sebagai punca pendapatan, sampingan atau full time. Thanks to Irfan Khairi, i’m in because of him and his book. The young millionaire inspired me so much!.

2007-04-11 13:24:20

Nice to know a fellow sabahan is doing this too. Ya bah harap makin ramai orang buat ini barang. hehe

Comment by butod studio Subscribed to comments via email
2007-04-09 11:49:35

Gaman i proud of you.

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2007-04-09 14:29:29

same wishes from me. as always.

2007-04-09 22:37:58

hate to say that kahsoon.com is not more updated since nov 20th 2006 and it still have 6/10 page strength. Which is higher than liewcf.com

it is inaccurate!

2007-04-09 22:50:07

Aik you commented the wrong post :)

BTW, wonder what happened to Kahsoon.

Comment by Larry Lim
2007-04-11 12:52:50

I’ve been making a living from my website earnings since 2005, a couple of months before LiewCF. Does that make me the first then? :)

2007-04-11 13:23:05

Are you a professional blogger and your income comes purely from your blog?

Comment by bengodomon Subscribed to comments via email
2007-04-15 15:15:34

Gaman, is it time to write a book about your experiences?

Comment by mrbadak
2007-04-17 08:35:53

You wrote “After reading a story from a computer magazine that there’s money to be made online – no matter who you are – I started experimenting with making money on the Internet in an effort to get a piece of the pie”

why didnt i read the same computer magazine back then? :P

2007-04-17 10:14:46

I know someone will ask that :) Sorry for not being specific.

I was actually a student in the UK where the magazine was published. It’s now on the 162 issue, so the magazine has been around 13.5 years. Things were just started to heat up there in the UK.

I think it’s this one http://www.netmag.co.uk/. Before any computer mag was published in Malaysia, I’ve to subscribe IT mags directly from UK and the US when I returned to Sabah.

Comment by Alland
2007-10-14 01:44:48

Gaman, tudukai oku gia pou=ingkuro mogihum tusin id online. Norongou ku buli tahan ko ka diolo..tudukai gia tanak2 dusun..

Comment by Shueqry
2008-03-28 18:07:51

this post inspired me a lot!

-Shueqry-

Comment by shawne
2008-03-29 10:24:35

Alland.. Same thing for me to ask the same question to mR.Gaman here.. But in the other words, Look man everyone searching the same thing like you want to create.. IN IE : Online Money… How can we get such a money without reading any article’s that created by a successful entrepenuer like gobala & Gaman here.. Don’t think about disaster think about how you can make a great discovery!! That’ll change your way of life.. Trust me the internet is not very difficult to learn, we learn from our mistakes and that is our great oppurtunity to get much more in future, we got vision’s but sometimes the vision’s we explore is blur, There is always a creativity inside our mind, but we have to explore more inside our MIND!!