TM Launches 4Mbps Broadband

May 26, 2007 by

On 20th March, I wrote about TM plan to introduce 4 Mbps broadband to TM customers in June. True to their word, the package is now rolled out and available to home users.

TM has introduced two new packages, 2 Mbps and 4 Mbps which cost RM188 and RM268 per month with modem respectively.

While those prices are not out of reach for me, at those speeds, I still find them way too expensive.

I wonder who are they trying to sell the packages to. As far as I know, I should be one of those who fit nicely into their target demographics.

I am a heavy home user and not the average one. I make a living working full time online so the new packages should serve me well. But at that price, I have to pass. I don’t usually download/upload big files and I don’t play online games.

My 1Mbps broadband should suffice – at least for now.

Offering high priced packages ensure that they are shutting off the majority of users who would love to have speedier connection.

Let’s compare this to what Singapore’s Starhub is offering. They have 6Mbps for SGD58.80 (RM117.6), 12Mbps for SGD79.80 (RM159.6) and 100Mbps for 121.80 (RM243.6)

I am not sure if these packages are capped at certain Megabyte but it looks like with the price of 4Mbps broadband in Malaysia, you can get a 100Mbps in Singapore!

Then as I suspected earlier, this service is currently only available to TM subscribers in selected areas of Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Selangor. Those of us who reside outside of these selected areas are out of luck.

Despite those complaints, I’m glad that at least they are doing something to improve the speed of our broadband connection. Their effort to add redundancy into the infrastructure after the quake off the coast of Taiwan has yielded some positive result at least from my side. I am experiencing less connection slowdown these days.

If I am not mistaken, a 1MBps package for SOHO used to cost RM418 in 2005, today it’s RM300 less. Home users pay even cheaper at RM88.

They have to start somewhere and the price for 4Mbps connection will eventually go down. But they seriously need to reduce the price as soon as possible to encourage mass broadband adoption. Without the competition, we can’t expect this to happen anytime soon.

More details about the new packages here.

Comments

Comment by kucau Subscribed to comments via email
2007-05-26 07:42:04

do they have enough bandwidth to open this new 4M package? actually they are over selling. thats why they open this new package with such a whooping non affordable price

2007-05-26 11:10:38

They are partnering with US-based Verizon to offer additional the redundancy. Perhaps the high price is an attempt for them to recover their initial cost. Remember also only a small number of people can apply.

2007-05-26 10:16:04

4mbps from newspaper cost rm198 for promotional period

2007-05-26 11:14:49

The introductory price should be reflected on their website. It’s not cheap without the discount. EVen after discount, it’s still expensive.

Comment by papajoneh
2007-05-26 11:10:59

im going to use the celcom 3G USB wireless one. much better.

2007-05-26 11:16:12

How fast is it?

Comment by icy
2007-05-26 12:35:37

I have been using my Maxis 3G over a year. My comment on it is: Not as fast as 1Mbps streamyx, but more convenient. I am able to connect to internet while at my shop and also at home.

Comment by Norman
2007-05-26 12:38:30

The prices are absolute bullshit. I can afford it but I still think those prices (at “best-effort” to boot!) are nothing but pure daylight robbery.

Comment by Jimmy Subscribed to comments via email
2007-05-29 12:35:22

1st of all, TM always coming out with new products saying this and doing that! But when the real deal is out, they can’t even back it up. 1mbps has been around for awhile and yet there is still so much of a problems here and there with the problems as no connection, port is full, low connection, bla bla bla..as the problems mount up with out any solving to it. And now they are putting out new product, 2mbps and 4mpbs. Solve the old problems before putting out new service 1st TM, all they think about is banking more money into their pocket. When problems arrives, all they say “Make report 1st then we will follow up” and the last I check “earliest in rectifying the problem is 1 month and latest is 3 month”.

Service slow as this and yet they are digging more money from our pocket. As the saying goes, “RICH IS GETTING RICHER AND POOR IS GETTING POORER”