Where Do You Readers Come From?

May 30, 2007 by

I got the idea to write about this post after reading Darren Rowse post at his blog in which he looked at where readers of his blogs come from geographically using Google Analytics.

You may have noticed that Google Analytics has rolled out the new features introduced recently for the rest of its users.

One interesting feature is the Geo overlay which allows you to see where your traffic is coming from by glancing at a Global map. You can set it to show data by Continent, country or City.

This is particularly useful if used together with the geo targeting feature in AdWords.
As you can see below, the majority of my readers come from Asia, the Americas, Europe and the Oceania.

analytics-continent.gif

Zooming in on the US map, I find that most of my visitors come from the five most populous states namely California, Texas, New York, Florida and Illinois. I suspect you’ll see the same trend if you check your own data.

analytics-usa.gif

The city view shows that Kuala Lumpur tops the list which is not surprising. This is followed by Kuantan, Singapore, Petaling Jaya, Kelang, London, New York and Los Angeles.

analytics-cities.gif

How about you – where do you readers come from?

Comments

2007-05-31 11:56:40

I tried installing it on my blog with no success…
still trying.

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2007-06-01 04:55:53

Kay, i think u need to install the long verifying code in your header.php, if i not mistaken.:) Seems to work with me.

2007-06-01 07:52:47

I did. Still wont detect. I even ask my ‘assistant’ but she also can’t figure out why….

2007-06-01 10:32:47

I am getting most reader from Malaysia, but quite a fair number for elsewhere, worldwide.

Comment by Katana
2007-06-01 16:10:00

Mine’s mostly from California, USA. Just found out this new feature after reading this post. Analytics look much better than the old version. Still because of its lack of real time statistics Statcounter is still my preferred choice.

Comment by Kassper
2007-06-03 02:04:51

I see there’s a lot users from my country (Croatia) and the rest of the visitors come mostly from US and Asia.