I’m Back & Experiencing The Power of Digg

June 6, 2007 by

I am back! I was out of town for a couple of days in case you were wondering, and could hardly find time to get on the Net. It’s just not enough time for me to write a post or two.

Anyhow, there have been some interesting developments in some of my blogs while I was away. I see the number of Sabahan.com subscribers has crossed the 200 mark. It’s still a little lower from my target but it’s an improvement anyway. Thanks for subscribing!

Also, another Text Link Ads slot was purchased by an advertiser.

In addition, for the first time ever I am experiencing the power of digg. Unfortunately, not here at Sabahan.com but over at my other blog OffbeatEnough.com. The blog is maintained by my assistance, it’s pretty light on content which consists mostly of entertainment and silly stuff.

Looks like there’s a truth in what they said. It’s hard to get on digg’s front page when you submit a story yourself but, those submitted by other people usually have a better chance of getting dugg. It’s even better if the submitter is a digg’s power user.

I am sure some of you may have been dugg several times already and think that it’s not a big deal but since this is the first time for me, I can’t help but find it quite exhilarating.

As expected, getting on digg’s front page brings in a tremendous amount of traffic. Close to 40,000 unique visitors stopped by yesterday, and before noon today, the number has crossed the 10,000 mark.

While I am sure the number will subside in the coming days, the number of new links gathered from other sites as a result of the digg effect will hopefully continue to rise.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed any slowdown when trying to access Sabahan.com since yesterday because OffbeatEnough.com is hosted on the same server. But it looks like the server manages to endure the relentless traffic onslaught and wasn’t down.

(Update: According to pingdom.com, the server was down for 9 minutes 13 seconds)

Obviously the story got dugg because it makes people chuckle – at least. But I find some of the digg crowd has the tendency to dwell in political correctness as later the comments shift away to about starving children in Africa and fat Americans.

There’s some increase in the AdSense income but nothing too exciting. I look forward to the day when my post at Sabahan.com got into digg’s front page. That would be nice.

Here’s the Dugg story

Comments

Comment by pablopabla
2007-06-06 13:48:43

Somebody should digg this post! Woohoo!

Comment by Katana
2007-06-06 13:56:36

Digg is definitely great for gaining links and welcome back too. Missed the updates hehe.

Comment by pablopabla
2007-06-06 13:58:44

Hmm…you got not digg submitter kah? Can’t find it here.

2007-06-06 14:01:49

Sorry I’ve removed it because I think nobody would bother to digg my post hehe and it’s a little distracting from the new users point of view.

Do you think I should put it back?

Comment by pablopabla
2007-06-06 14:21:49

Yeah, I think you write well and you should put the digg button, just in case your reader wants to share it with the digg community.

Comment by mooiness
2007-06-06 15:18:12

Though there have been a few posts floating around which said that a low number of Diggs on the Digg button might actually have a negative effect on readers. Maybe only put it on after you’ve gotten around 10 diggs for it?

Regarding the traffic, I’m under the impression from reading Digital Point Forums that Digg visitors are not likely to click on ads, and it’s hard to make them return visitors. What are your thoughts?

Comment by Katana
2007-06-06 18:09:55

I have experienced 9 digg effects so far on one of my blogs and depending on your ad placement, digg users can get a considerable income to that post and would most probably propel your keywords to the top of the SERP for that particular keyword. Digg is a win situation in the long run.

2007-06-06 20:41:00

I agree. Now if only I could get dugg writing about SEO and blogging it’s would be nice hehe. But those topics do not usually have a mass appeal.

2007-06-06 20:35:23

moo,

I’ve heard of such idea but has never seriously considered implementing it. I might give it a second look.

As for the digg visitors not clicking ads, I’ll answer that in my next post.

Comment by mrBadak
2007-06-06 16:52:23

hehe.. i was one of those thousand diggers.. funny la the pic..

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-06-07 22:05:39

if you got the pic from somewhere else: source not cited?

2007-06-07 22:18:34

The pic was submitted by someone else – not me. It probably came from the submitter’s inbox.