The Internet in 1994

July 12, 2007 by

I had heard about the so called Internet back then but only had my first experience surfing the net in 1995 when I was in the University.

I found things via links from other people sites. Link pages were well valued those days because they helped people discovered the hidden gems not searchable by even the most powerful search engines during those days.

I used Veronica to search the web and Archie for FTP search. Then Yahoo! came along and became the dominant search engine. Other search engines followed suit including Lycos, Excite, Alta Vista, Northern Light, InfoSeek before Google arrived at the scene in 1999/2000 I think. It took the center stage ever since because of its clean homepage and relevancy.

My first website was in The Tropics of Geocities. It was fun learning HTML and coding the design by hand, never realised I would be doing that sort of things for a living later.

One of my earlier comments on the web can be found at Durian Online. It got me feel a little nostalgic just by reading it. My others foot prints seemed to have drifted off into the Internet oblivion.

How was your first experience surfing the Internet?

[via Google Blogoscoped]

Comments

Comment by pablopabla
2007-07-12 13:55:03

Phoar! My first internet experience was also in university back in 1995. I used irix for email and netscape for surfing. IRC was a rage back then especially at #mamak. And yes, I also built a website on geocities and tripod as well. The one at tripod is still existing but geocities took down the community site already.

2007-07-12 15:09:25

wah…i also have my first website at geocities. I still remember trying to get geocities.com/siliconvalley/ with some nice number behind.

IRC, Eggdrop, Bots….

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-07-13 00:27:24

i remember watching a friend at uni emailing someone either late 80s or early 90s. it was like – wow, email. then i was furiously reading all about the net and related techs starting 3rd quarter of 94. Then it was dialup in 1995 and first website visited: The star online. WEb based, later irc followed. i think having a geocities account then was a given.

Comment by nazmieski Subscribed to comments via email
2007-07-13 04:04:13

My first experienced for surfing the internet was back in 1998 at cybercafe. During that time i’m still in Form 2 and the 1st thing i learn something new on the internet was Mirc…..Chatting. :)

Comment by Gadget
2007-07-17 03:45:32

woow my first day on the internet was back in 2002 :D Now in 2007 i`m a prof! :D

Comment by Von Doane
2007-10-22 15:42:35

My first Internet surfing experience was in the fall of 2000. I have been in love with it ever since then. Built my first website a family site using tripod in the summer of 2004. It is still existing. Started to make money Online in the fall of 2006 using AdWords. Started to blog on MySpace and a Blogger Blog this year. I have started to make money from my Blooger Blog since the beginning of the fall.

Comment by Daniel Draper
2010-08-01 06:23:23

I started surfing the web in 1995 after installing Win95. I had Prodigy, then switched to Aol and believed it was the coolest thing around! I remember making my first website on geocities, IRC, and getting a hotmail account. Times sure have changed. I can’t wait to see what will happen in the next 5-10 years.