100Mbps Internet Access Is Coming to Malaysia

July 18, 2007 by

That’s according to an article published in The Star Online today. Telekom Malaysia (TM) is currently testing a 100Mbps broadband access using fibre-optic connection and the electrical wiring in our house.

The first phase of the project will be rolled out in the third quarter of next year with an initial speed of 10 Mbps. Those living in high-rise building in big cities will get to enjoy the service first. Newer housing developments would probably be able to take advantage of this service as laying fibre optic cables become part of the development plans.

I don’t expect this service to become available anytime soon in my area though since I’m living in the interior division of Sabah (I give it 5 years). Anyway, I hope this is a sign that a speedier and better connection than the 1Mbps I am currently using is coming to town soon. I’ll be content with a cheaper 4Mbps connection.

Now, just imagine what you can do with a 100Mbps Internet connection.

As TM CEO said, we are heading for the digital home era where IPTV (Internet Protocol Television), VoIP (Voice-over-Internet Protocol) and home surveillance via the Net.

But before let ourselves be carried away with such possibilities, I hope TM will continue to improve the quality of our existing broadband service.

Read the full story

Comments

Comment by frostier
2007-07-18 19:19:48

**100Mbps? Yes, one can get connected to 100Mbps network but how about the latency especially oversea latency? Fiber optic connection? fiber to the home? Only limited to certain areas.**

**I suspect that TM will be trading the dark fiber in order to achieve the 10Mbps connection – it will be in Metro Ethernet solution**

**not sure about the policies for the services whether it is segregate by areas and providers**

I’ll be content with a cheaper 4Mbps connection.
*If given 1Mbps guarantee bandwidth is even better than 4Mbps shared**

Let’s just wait and see. Walk the talk.

2007-07-18 20:17:41

As far as I know they are working with US based Verizon to offer redundancy for international traffic. I wouldn’t worry too much about latency, it’s not like you are on a 1 Mbps connection where latency is a major concern.

A lot of things can happen in 5 years. I think my 1 Mbps connection here is probably better than some TM users in big towns who have to deal with congested bandwidth – it used to be crappy but it’s getting better now – at least from my side. Now let me have a cheaper 4Mbps :)

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-07-18 20:18:37

I heard an MCMC guy earlier this month at a conference in KK said wireless broadband by a rival co to TM (redtone?) is coming to KK end of this yr.

I wonder if 3G coverage is up to the interior division in less than 5 years, then can use that gizmo to connect to your laptop/smartphone/blackberry/thingamajigy device. At Pan Pac in the same conference, the Celcom guy was pushing it.

Comment by syahid ali
2007-07-19 00:54:30

hmm. 100MB is the best rate which is probably unreachable by home users. let us see if the wimax services are worth contenders of streamyx. :D

Comment by chrisblogging.com
2007-07-19 02:47:12

I dont usually stay up to date with this type of news, but this was quite interesting…

Comment by Malaysia Property
2007-07-19 10:17:59

i think it would take years for that to come since most lines aren’t fiber optics…

another consideration is the rate…

Comment by cooliojones
2007-07-19 21:31:48

They always get the advancements overseas before they hot the states. We are so behind it’s ridiculous.

Comment by ergg78
2007-07-24 19:41:02

i’m sure it will be great to have faster connection speed. 100Mbps.. hmm, just imagine that. 1Mbps is sure enough for me.. for now. People nowadays are more fond to sit in front of their pc rather than watching news or movies from tv set. haha, counting me in. watching live feed frm tv3 directly frm the internet is enough. But with greater connection im sure the quality should be refine assuming it will be just like sitting in front of your tv set watching live feed. I hope the ‘so called 100Mbps connection’ will be a price bargain for us soon. :)

Comment by wandira
2007-07-25 09:43:26

Gaman, may I ask you how much you pay for 1 Mbps connection ?

2007-07-25 10:19:47

About RM88 or USD26 per month

Comment by papajoneh
2007-07-26 13:49:38

I got it for RM77 :D and so far my 1Mbps is an up and down experience. I definitely interested in the WIFI setting. I’m a mobile person. :)

Comment by Gamat
2010-11-01 17:39:55

walao.. this post is 3 years ago… where is the 100Mbps?