My Kontera Experiment – The Results Are In…

July 26, 2007 by

Some of you may recall that I wrote about re-running Kontera ads (those text links with double underline) at Sabahan.com.

I was testing to see how much money I could make from it, and whether it’ll affect my AdSense income, traffic and readers experience. I was also watching the relevancy of the ads.

I setup the Kontera ads to run from 22 Jun 2007 until 26 July 2007 today. Up until 24 July, I’ve made $30.42 from 320 clicks which translates to around $0.095 per click. My effective CPM stands at $1.29, the revenue generated for every 1000 net impressions.

That amount doesn’t include those from my other blogs. Kontera is running on several of my other blogs.

kontera-stats.png

I changed the Kontera links colour to black and later to dark green to differentiate them from the normal links since I found it rather confusing and irritating when they were the same colour. As a result, my daily Kontera income took a dip.

Since setting up Kontera, I didn’t notice any significant impact on my AdSense CTR. The only complaints I received were from the slightly unfavourable reviews by those participating in my contest. The main complaint was I have too much ads, perhaps because they find Kontera ads a little obtrusive. Other than that, I only have two AdSense ads running (one on the main page), and a couple of text link ads on my sidebar.

The ads were quite relevant to the content and at times I was tempted to click on them. I am sure others were too. While this may be good to my bottom line, it destroys the usability of my pages and may irritate users who think the links lead to more information about the subject, while in fact, they are advertisements.

In addition, I don’t like to see my ‘good’ content littered with links that aren’t created by me especially when they don’t contribute to my blog income significantly. It’s not worth sacrificing the users experience just to make a few bucks at the end of the month.

That said, it doesn’t mean the door for Kontera ads to appear here is forever shut. If I can limit the number of links per page, that would be great. What I need next is traffic, it’s just not generating enough clicks with the amount of traffic that I have currently.

So, for now I have to remove Kontera for the second time.

Comments

Comment by ben
2007-07-26 16:25:10

Hmmm gaman at least you experimented the Kontera things and if it doesn’t give profit like what is should be then removing it from your blog will give zero impact..

As for me it’s a long road to monetize my blog yet, i am still experimenting about my blog traffic and trying to see what these people really looking for…

So i guess this is a good lesson for me as a new blogger..

Anyway keep up the good work..and stay posted with your current and informative content.

Thanks Brother!

Comment by lee
2007-07-26 16:59:14

It batter than nothing. For one month it will give you a few new domain name :)

2007-07-26 21:12:38

I don’t know about you, but for me it’s not worth sacrificing the users experience for $30 a month.

Comment by Adam
2007-07-26 17:07:01

I tried it for for a month but removed it after I received a few complaints from my regular visitors. The earnings were not that much as well.

Comment by papajoneh
2007-07-26 17:59:15

Im about to try it via you but somehow this post come to the rescue. Thanks for head up. Saved lagi :D

2007-07-26 18:26:41

Joneh, it’s up to you really :) If you think you and your users can tolerate Kontera and make a few bucks along the way.. it may suits you.

2007-07-26 23:02:59

I’ve used Kontera for a very long time on many sites. I think the reason that Kontera is not for your blog is because of the type of site it is. This is a site about blogging and techie stuff. Techie people and those that blog (and setup sites) aren’t going to be interested in most ads at all. They have ads on their sites. They want to get the content and get out. I think that the best way to monetize a site like that is to include valuable links to affiliate programs and deals within and relevant to the content itself. Kind of like how John Chow is starting to do now. It’s probably more profitable too. If you get 2.67% clickthrough on 6 cents a click for a 5,000 people a day that’s 133 people clicking on an ad for a total of about $8.01 per day profit. Not bad, you would have a stead income of $240 per month. But if you place a link in the content itself about a fantastic eBook or service that pays $5.00 CPA and your clickthrough is only 1% (50 people per day) you could make $250 per day, or a possible $7,500 per month. Even 10 people per day is $50/day or $1,500/mo.

Kontera’s great for sites where people don’t know any better, i.e., they are non-technical. Ringtones, lyrics, some advice sites, sports sites, celeb sites, and a multitude of other topics. I can’t see it doing well on techie sites or blogs about blogging. I’m always pisse off on John Chow’s site waiting for the page to load because of the Kontera ads.

Comment by cooliojones
2007-07-27 08:58:08

Thanks for this mini-review. It really helps me to evaluate Kontera. I am using it but not getting much in form of the return on the investment (my time/reader’s time). I’m considering canceling it on my blog and using it on another type of blog just like you said.

My New Hustle | Make Money Online

Comment by Katana
2007-07-27 00:02:31

That’s kinda odd, I wonder how John Chow rack up 1k for Kontera when his theme is similar to Sabahan. I guess his traffic and link colour makes a lot of difference but then $30 against $1k is a bit too far fetch isn’t it?

Just for comparison study…

2007-07-27 00:09:02

Another thing I wondered about John Chow result, why does he always get a nicely rounded $1000 :)

Comment by Katana
2007-07-27 00:26:53

For the last 3 months John had 3 $1000. could it be just pure coincidence or did he just round up it to the nearest?

April 2007
May 2007
June 2007

2007-07-27 00:45:39

If it’s not a coincidence, perhaps it’s a publicity stunt LOL.

Comment by chrisblogging.com
2007-07-27 02:16:33

This is a nice case study. I have been thinking about Kontera, and this gave me so much needed insight!

Comment by weirdoux
2007-07-29 02:02:42

“If I can limit the number of links per page, that would be great. ”