What Would You Do If You Are Experiencing a Blogger’s Block?

September 3, 2007 by

I had been out of town, away from the computer for the past few days during the long weekends. We were celebrating the Independence Day on the 31st of August.

From where I am, it sometimes involves an activity that we called Aramai Tii or “be merry” in its direct translation.

While most Malaysian think that we are celebrating our 50th year of Independence, we Sabahan would like to think that it’s only the 44th year.

Historically, Malaysia as we know today only came into existence formally when Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore joined Malaya in 1963. As a matter of fact 50 years ago was the Independence Day of Malaya from the British.

Sabah was supposed to attain independence through Malaysia on 31st August 1963. However a study by the UN on confirmation of the wishes of the people was delayed and the official merger date was then postponed by two weeks to 16th Sept 1963.

Today, Sept 16th is celebrated as Malaysia Day but the 31st August celebration always takes precedence. I’d love to see more people to be more aware of the significance of the 16th Sept 1963 as far as Sabah and Sarawak are concerned.

It’s not hard to imagine how this can become a political issue but anyway I am not about to go into that.

Anyway, talking about blogging, it has become a habit for me to easily switch gear from the weekend mode to the working mode without much hassle. Working at home, the temptation to slack off can be irresistible.

But today, I find it’s a bit harder to sit down and gets the idea flowing as I find myself experiencing what some call the bloggers block. Perhaps I was still having the weekend hangover.

Blogger’s block is a situation where you loss the ability to blog, typically due to lack of inspiration, ideas or motivation.

Lack of idea is not one of my problems though. I keep an idea list that’s recorded in Outlook consisting of topics that I am planning to write in this blog.

While any of them can be a valuable addition to this blog, I am less inspired to write long articles that requires tons of research today.

To help me overcome the blogger’s block, I am writing anything that came to mind to ensure that my lack of motivation won’t stop me from coming up with something that’s at least interesting.

How about you what would you do to overcome writer’s block or blogger’s block?

Do you temporarily stop writing completely, or write something very short or do something with the hope that it’ll ignite your inspiration?

Comments

Comment by Azmeen
2007-09-03 13:40:13

Personally, I do either two things:

1) Spend more time scouring the web or Stumbling Upon.
2) Go totally offline and write something from my Ideas Bank

For option 1, I bookmark blog-worthy stuff I find and include them in my Ideas Bank.

For option 2, I write a draft and try to make it at around 180 to 300 words. Any shorter, it might as well be a “linking post” to the idea inspiration. Any longer, I might as well be a novelist!

Comment by rumil
2007-09-03 14:21:45

I get that sometimes. I end up not blogging in the end.

Comment by Alb
2007-09-03 15:51:23

Weekend hangover? :O hehe…

Anyway, yes true. 31st August 1957 is the Independence Day aka Merdeka Day or Hari Merdeka. Malaysia Day is every 16th Sept. (formed in 16th Sep 1963, as stated).

I think both events are important. If we talk about Independence, then its Merdeka Day. If about Country, then its Malaysia Day. Still, if there’s no Merdeka Day, then no Malaysia Day. NO vice versa.. :p

2007-09-03 16:53:34

>I think both events are important.

Exactly my point. But not many people realize that it’s the 44th year of Independence for Malaysia not 50.

Comment by Alb
2007-09-03 17:25:39

ahhh… yes.. yes… 44th year for MALAYSIA… I really missed this point… hehe…

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-03 22:11:25

I would like you to read what Uncle Yap has to say about the matter, and your comments about it:

2007-09-04 09:30:36

I’ve seen people using the US as a comparison before but it’s like saying while the state of Terengganu only joined Malaya after certain date, it still celebrates the same independence day. There’s no argument there because Terengganu and the rest of the states in the peninsular were already homogenous states when Malaya was declared independent. We can’t say the same thing about Sabah or Sarawak.

The fact remains that Malaysia was formed in 1963. The United States of America wasn’t formed when Hawaii and Oregon joined the rest of the states.

Similarly, if Brunei were to joined Malaysia On Aug 31, 2008, the date of Malaysia Independence should still be 16 Sept 1963 because that’s when the federation was initially conceived.

Sarawak celebrates its own national day.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-04 18:44:06

I agree to the fact that MALAYSIA was formed in 1963, and MALAYA in 1957. That’s the bare truth.

Let say, IF MALAYSIA was formed in 1957 then SABAH, SWAK and SPORE joined MALAYSIA in 1963 then Uncle Yap is true.

If Uncle Yap’s article was written in a blog, surely the comments count will reach 100 comments! or maybe more..

haha I guess Gaman can start a website in the political or national issues now! BTW, the elections is just around the corner..better start now. :)

2007-09-06 18:29:31

Hehe.. I guess I am not into politics to the point that I wanted to create a new political blog.

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-17 01:09:39

Read this: http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=23975

Highlights:

Those who advocate that Malaysia as a nation was actually born on Aug 31, 1957 cited the formation and expansion of the United States of America as a parallel to the formation of Federation of Malaya and its subsequent expansion when Sarawak, Sabah and Singapore joined the federation on Sept 16, 1963.

This is a classic case of comparing an orange with an apple because USA was formed by 13 former colonies of the British Empire on July 5, 1776 after a bloody war of independence and remained as the United States of America despite its expansion through the addition of other states to its federation.

This is not the case with the Federation of Malaya or Malaya as it ceased to exist as a nation when it joined Sarawak, Sabah and Singapore to form Malaysia on Sept 16, 1963.

It must be noted that Malaysia was formed through an equal partnership between Federation of Malaya, Sarawak, Sabah and Singapore (which withdrew from Malaysia after two years) it was never a formation of the sovereign nation of Malaya and the three states.

Comment by Azmeen
2007-09-03 22:19:58

And here I was thinking that this post was really about overcoming writer’s block.

2007-09-04 09:35:13

LOL,

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-03 18:18:50

If you see your malaysian calendar 16th september Malaysia is NOT a public holiday in the peninsula, only in Sabah. And that is only stated as “Harijadi yang Tuan Yang Terutama (TYT)” there is no mention of it being a Malaysia Day.. So why are we not celebrating 16th sept as well? Just curious.. :)

Comment by Tirut
2007-09-04 01:44:03

oh, how i miss the aramai tii session in KK.

Anyhow, should I have nothing to write I’ll just wait until something pops-up.

It’s a sad thing that 16 sept is not as recognised as 31st Aug. as Malaysia will only be called Malaysia after the inception of Sabah and Sarawak.

2007-09-04 09:36:32

I wasn’t in KK though

Comment by David
2007-09-04 04:27:22

Here’s how I avoid blogger’s block. I would make a lot of new Microsoft Word files. Then if anything sparks in my head I would rename it with the idea I had in mind. After that, if I can think of some information along the way I would add it and sooner or later you just need to revise the information and you have yourself a topic you can post!

Comment by chrisblogging.com
2007-09-04 22:59:40

This can be tough to deal with. But remember, it is all a part of blogging!

Comment by Liew
2007-09-05 10:18:26

just leave it, take a break.
btw, write more when your brain is not blocked.