Should Bloggers Reveal Their Income?

September 6, 2007 by

Revealing your income can be a good way to generate buzz to your blog if you are making good money from it.

After revealing my income the other day, the post was mentioned in several blogs, many of which were new to me. It’s a good way to attract other bloggers to link to you.

As I wrote earlier some bloggers may prefer to keep quiet about their income for fear of being copied by others, or they don’t want to be perceived as bragging.

On the other hand, sharing the details of your blog’s income (or Internet income) offers a powerful way to generate interest and it helps to keep the buzz going.

I see this method used effectively by John Chow Dot Com. By revealing his income, he had attracted the attention of many people including several TV stations that had invited him as a guess to talk about his money making blog.

The cumulative effect of all this allowed him to make a over US17,828.61 from his blog in August 2007. That’s how you make money from “how to make money” blog – keep the buzz going. Once you’ve created the buzz, take advantage of it by selling advertising in your blog.

There are other blogs that are more popular than John Chow Dot Com as far as traffic from the search engines is concern but they make less money because they don’t create as much buzz.

One way you can create the buzz is to fake it until you made it. People like ShoeMoney.com or Markus Frind of Plenty Of Fish are known to employ this method when they weren’t quite there yet. Nonetheless, it kept the ball rolling and helped them achieved their ultimate goal.

Now I am not suggesting that everyone should fake it before they made it, that’s practically lying. But hey some people are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their goal as long as they see the ends justify the means.

I like to read other people’s experience. Knowing how much they are making motivates me to work harder. I wish more “ordinary” bloggers will reveal their income as it can be a powerful source of inspiration for others.

Probably like most people, jealousy may occasionally surface when we read other people success stories. However I usually responded to such feeling positively and use it as a source of motivation that reminded myself that I have to keep going.

If I don’t act now, other people will “overtake” me in my own game and become more successful. In the end I have nobody to blame but myself. It’s not that they prevented me to do whatever I wanted to do. My mantra is if they can do it, I can do it too, if not better. Please excuse me if this sounds a little self-centered :) – well you are already half way there if you believe in your own ability.

Earning over RM15,000, RM20,000 or more monthly is quite an achievement by the Malaysian standard. If you are living in a small town like me, there’s some money to be saved. I work in my shorts and t-shirt from home, earning as much as some big shots in a multi national company but without all the stress and corporate politics to deal with. How cool is that?

Due to the diversity of my Internet business, the income is consistent month after month. It’s not like I suddenly make tons of money after a successful email campaign (although I should have started doing that) and then nothing the next day.

The downside of making that much is that you start giving excuses and become complacent with what you’ve achieved. My progress stagnated for a couple of years. I had always set to attain higher goals but I only started acting on it seriously this year.

Today, I am launching several projects simultaneously and hopefully they will help me attain my goal of earning USD10,000 by the end of this year.

August could had easily be my best month ever if not because of technical glitch which had resulted in the disappearance of my sites from Google index. Thankfully, things are back to normal now. I am glad that when that happened, I’ve started to ramp up my PPC campaigns which managed to balance things out at the end of the month as far as my income is concern.

I am not telling you this to brag; hey I am not even there yet. But I feel that by telling others, I have greater chance of sticking to my plan. You may even decide to set similar goals for yourselves.

One of my projects involves experimenting with a newly released pay per click software.

The software is called SpeedPPC and it cost an absolute fortune, US497 to be exact but I see the potential of this software so I went ahead and bought it. If it doesn’t work as expected within 30 days, I might ask for a refund.

If I have any success with it, you might hear me writing about this software again in this blog.

Comments

Comment by Tirut
2007-09-06 17:25:36

Me too, I like to know how much they earn. It motivates me to do something with my life :D

Anyhow, that SpeedPPC is one expensive software even after it’s 20% discount. So, can’t wait to hear from you on the result of this stuff.

2007-09-06 18:26:48

I got $100 discount

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-06 17:46:26

John Chow is earning equiv to more than RM60,000 for the month of August! I think there are pros and cons to revealing your income. In the end it’s personal choice. like liewcf he stopped completely.

looking forward to you revealing details about your latest projects.

2007-09-06 18:23:54

Crazy isn’t it? But it’s not suprising considering the rate at which he’s monetizing his blog.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-06 21:42:09

yes, i was somewhat waiting for gaman to reveal his august earnings..

Comment by helen
2007-09-06 18:14:36

Only if you’re those who run make money blogs or those blogs which offer money making tips… Other than that, what is the point? :-)

2007-09-06 18:24:52

agreed – unless you can get something out of it

Comment by Jaxon S
2007-09-06 19:22:00

i guess it’s ok to reveal income.

in fact i personally find such a post interesting. but for those who blog under real names, they might need to consider other issues before revealing their income, like the possibility of being chased by the taxman ;)

and i agree with helen..

Comment by cy Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-06 19:31:34

I see it as good link baiting strategy if you have a money making website.

However, personally I’d not reveal the income as I do not want unwanted attention ( you know how ‘safe’ malaysia is these days). Unless of course, you remain anonymous with a pen name.

just my two cents,
CY

2007-09-06 21:18:26

exposing your income is a good thing if you are doing well..therefore the timing of exposing your income is important..

but there are people out there who would start claiming their high income and being snobish about it….they wouldn’t last long

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-06 21:39:56

RM60K per month! work for a year and you are nearly a Millionaire! :) haha

I do reveal my internet income although I only make around RM1200-1500 per month, but not bad for a part timer..hmm the most reason story about revealing one incomes is about Gobala who revealed that he made RM60K in 3 days in his quickfire sale.. Ripleys Believe or not Malaysian style??

2007-09-06 21:58:09

I read about that but I doubt it’s net income. I thought he was sharing lists with his two other partners.

If you are talking about gross sales, I am over the USD10,000 mark monthly easily.

If you have a good list it can be a good money maker. Anyway, good for him and you are good too for a part timer :)

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-06 23:20:01

yes that is my guess also regarding with goba.

Well one thing that I have never done is paying for advertising e.g adwords, reviewme to bring in the visitors, I am planning to do it when I think I can present a good quality site with enough contents to make them keep on coming back after that..

Thanks for the support! :)

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-06 23:55:32

my goodness gaman, i thought when you said RM20,000 per month you meant gross! So, what you’re saying is that you’re making around RM34,000/mth gross, then after minus overheads (advertising costs, assistant(s?) salary/ies, income tax) etc etc it will come to around RM15K-RM20K/mth?

2007-09-07 00:11:40

Well most of my income comes form affiliate programs, a large portion from pay per sale. So I only get a % of the total amount.

Comment by David
2007-09-06 22:46:28

Wow I had no idea ShoeMoney faked his income or his success stories.

2007-09-07 00:00:32

Not factually anyway but just read his disclaimer on his blog. He always got reasons to lie about everything LOL.

“You should assume everything written on this blog is a lie. You should assume I have motivation for linking to everything on this page and will benefit from it somehow. You should assume I am no better then you are and your opinion has just as much weight as mine. You should question everything. You should come up with your own thoughts and opinions and not trust some stupid blogger.”

Example, he claimed that one of his sites, nextpimp.com boasts

Total Members: 465,830 | Members Online: 12,225 | Guests Online: 85,512

With over 100,000 visitors at this moment the site’s Alexa ranking is only as low as 37K… Yes I know about the unreliability of Alexa stats but still…

Besides that, I think he’s doing very well now.

2007-09-07 01:25:57

If I expose my income, many fired-up new people will stop doing blogs and do something else. Of course you need to show some results before sharing the info with anyone else. That way you motivate people and create a nice BUZZ..ZZ

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-07 15:44:35

surely you are earning well, aren’t you? your blog are quite popular..maybe someday can be a kennysia one.. :)

try making beautiful wordpress themes and give it for free..sure will drive the traffic to your site..

just my two cents worth.. :)

2007-09-07 15:56:27

Rajawang- Cukup makan to buy some music toys lar..he he. kennysia… hmm sounds familiar… :D

Ya, maybe I should start doing my own instead of disturbing my sis to do for me.

Comment by Lil Bloo
2007-09-08 11:02:24

become kennysia for wat lol
i think gaman earn more than him la

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-08 19:41:51

I was talking about Kay Kastum ok not gaman, please read the comments before you post lol..this is a THREADED comments.. cheers.

Comment by Lil Bloo
2007-09-09 09:00:48

my bad >.

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-09 20:53:08

This is quite an interesting point. Gaman might be earning more than Kenny Sia, but looking at it from another angle, Kenny is being invited to all kinds of cool events, including all expenses paid travel overseas due to his blogging. He could indeed leverage his ascending profile for bigger and better things, including money of course.

2007-09-10 00:26:07

Kenny is a “celebrity blogger” while I am not. I dislike blogging about myself and I don’t expect anyone paying for my travel expenses.

I rather enjoy what I have with friends and family. I guess it all depends on whether you are into this for fun or business.

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-10 01:12:38

I think it’s unavoidable: at some point you will pass the threshold of celebrity-hood: Sabah’s first internet millionaire, pursued by journalists, getting countless TV and magazine interviews, invitations to make speeches at hourly rates and lucrative book deals. Six or even seven figure income beckons – don’t tell me you’d pass those? ;-)

2007-09-10 01:27:13

Perhaps someone will write a story about me in Daily Express someday LOL – that’s about it, but I doubt I can beat Kenny’s fame.

Besides, I rather stay under the radar, unlike Irfan Khairi. It works well for him but I’m not into this to get famous :)

Comment by JennyHow
2007-09-07 13:35:23

fake it until you achieve it. i think this works very well. just like one of those advise telling us to visualist things and eventually we will be able to achieve it. it works!

Comment by hafreze
2007-09-09 00:15:51

ya lor..if we don’t fake it, how come to create the hype between readers..right?..although is quite unethical, but the proven strategies should be practiced..

Comment by san
2007-09-09 21:47:29

i got RM50 within 5 days but i don’t want to show the results in my blog because that is only for my personal internet banking…

Comment by Kay Kastum
2007-09-10 14:57:55

I’d rather make money without the hoo-ha. It’s more fun.
Thank goodness for blogs like this one there’s so much ‘free’ wisdom!

Comment by markk00
2007-09-10 16:55:04

Whether it’s a tiny sum or big bucks, I’d rather prefer to keep it private. Not for “linkbait” purpose to attract readers to your blog. There are other ways to lure readers. Don’t have to dangle the money carrot infront of bloggers. More so if you’re earning big sum and if you’re only earning 3 dollars a month then it’s better to shut up. I don’t see any point in this “tell the world” how much you earn baloney. I can even fake the amount I’m earning if I want to. Newbie bloggers should not be too caught up when they see bloggers publicize how much they are earning.

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-11 17:20:51

Gaman will be famous in the TV or in the newspaper one day soon. Whether he wants it or not. Kan gaman ;)

It’s all personal about telling how much you earn. Even the person earning 3 dollars and he wants to tell it through his blog.. why not.. it is his / her blog. What more if its a paid domain. No one in the world can prevent that. So do not judge others just on that.

Honestly, for me, i like seeing others telling their income from the internet. Why not? Whats wrong with that? You should or should not is a not question judged by others. You feel like to tell it… just publish the post. Why care others’ feeling? I can only see the benefit. Like gaman and john chow did… they even making more money and along the way, helping other bloggers or visitors making money too.

Comment by Tim
2007-09-12 15:03:12

For full time blogger like Gaman, i think its good to reveal the income to let us as reference :)

–blog for dream–

Comment by markk00
2007-09-13 15:08:36

Too bad some bloggies still don’t get it. ‘Nuff said.

Comment by Felex Tan
2008-04-02 10:44:42

It is personal’details ,i guess..no harm to share if you want to prove to readers and get more readers!