New AdSense Ad Test Unit Spotted

September 21, 2007 by

I don’t usually write about any AdSense ad that appears out of the ordinary which obviously is undergoing some testing.

However a few minutes ago I spotted an interesting AdSense format for the medium rectangle that appeared at Sabahan.com so I might just give it a mention.

Someone had actually spotted this ad format in early August and started a discussion thread at DigitalPoint.com.

As you can see below, besides the normal ad text, the unit also contains related words at the bottom. It looks a little cluttered but the novelty factor would probably help in increasing its click through rates.

adsense-unit-test.png

Are you more likely to click on such AdSense unit?

Comments

Comment by TenthOfMarch
2007-09-21 11:34:58

Yes, due to curiosity. Just to check out what it is all about. People are so used to seeing the “old adsense” layout that something new could potentially draw their attention to it. However, this condition may fade out after some time.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-21 12:12:14

yeah, I have seen those kind of ads appearing in my site as well. But my first impression is maybe its a coding error or something. Haven’t read anything from google yet.

2007-09-21 12:44:36

No, I’m not likely to click on those. More then that, I’d prefer not having them on my website if those below are link units that need 2 clicks from users to make money.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-09-21 21:53:37

yes I agree with that 2-clicks to get money..

Comment by Jody
2008-12-19 16:20:54

Well I see what your saying however its no diffrent from googles inline ads, and change never hurt. Who knows it might increase your revenue. But I still think google should leave the choice to its users.

Comment by Tim
2007-09-24 17:45:04

Yes, i think the spot is better. But for me, I prefer sharp color title :)

Comment by BlogEarners
2007-09-27 13:55:05

any change is good for regular visitors so it stands out.
Other than that, I’m not so sure if it will increase the clickthrough with newcomers…