How to Setup AdSense Revenue Sharing on a Blog with Multiple Bloggers

September 27, 2007 by

Running a blog can be fun. Then for whatever reason, you started creating another blog, and then another until the fun part begin to fade as the demand to delivery good content and finding time to maintain those blogs begin to take their tool.

I myself maintain several blogs in various niches ranging from Internet marketing (this blog), internet security, personal finance to funny video blogs.

Keeping my blogs up to date and interesting has been a continuous challenge. That’s without considering my other Internet ventures in affiliate marketing, software development, forums and so on. Sometimes I wish I have several “gamans” to help me out.

I found myself compromising the posts quality and trying to compensate it with quantity. As my interest begins to fade, some blogs ended up gathering digital dusts and the decline in their traffic and income were inevitable. So I came up with a plan to revitalize those blogs and started looking for contributors. Up till now I have a full time assistance and two bloggers helping me out on a contractual basis. My plan is to find contributors that are willing to post regularly for all of those blogs.

Inviting guest bloggers to contribute offers an effective way to ensure your blogs do not suffer from the occasional silence when you are unable to write. Guest blogging is a win-win arrangement since the blogger who does the quest spot is exposed to a new audience offering him or her a chance to drive traffic back to his or her blog. As the blog owner, you can take a break and keep your blog running while you are unable to post.

Guest blogging can be great for an already established blog. However, for a new blog, or blog with low traffic, finding willing bloggers to contribute for free can be more challenging. In such case, you need to either pay the blogger to write or offer some kind of compensation for his/her hard work.

There are several ways to do this and one of the practical options is to share the blog’s AdSense revenue with the contributing bloggers. I’ve arranged an AdSense revenue sharing in several of my blogs where bloggers earned a percentage of the AdSense monthly income.

I let bloggers plug in their AdSense Publisher ID into the profile and earn 100% of AdSense revenue from every post they create. Blogger who’s the last to post will have their AdSense ads displayed on the front page too. The more they post the higher the potential income would be.

Here’s a list of my blogs that you can contribute in return for displaying AdSense ads with your ID imbedded into them.

1. Portable CD MP3 Player
  2. Internet Security Online
  3. Software Business Blog
  4. Office Supplies Equipments
  5. TechnoMint

If you are interested, please contact me and let me know which blogs you are interested in contributing. I no longer require one posting per day. You may post as often as you like and each post must be at least 200 words in length. For full details please check out the original job announcement here.

How to Setup AdSense Revenue Sharing on a Blog with Multiple Bloggers

I am using a plugin called Author AdSense Plugin which, at the time of this writing, appears to be no longer supported by the author. An alternative plugin based on this one is available here.

In order to display the AdSense ad on the front page that belongs to the blogger who posted the last, the following code is placed in the header, just below the <body> tag.

<?php function lastpost(){
global $wp_query;
$thePostID = $wp_query->post->post_author;
}
?>

This code basically obtains the last poster ID which can then be used to call the associated AdSense ID. For each AdSense code on the page, I replaced their google_ad_client value with the following code:

"<?php echo kd_get_google_id($post->post_author); ?>";

google_color_url = "CCCCCC";
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

When the page is loaded, this line will be replaced with that particular blogger’s AdSense ID.

While I am aware that Google doesn’t allow publishers to edit their AdSense code, I don’t think this is against Google TOS since the resulting AdSense code has everything intact. Apart from of the rotating google_ad_client value there’s no other changes made.

Comments

Comment by Tim
2007-09-27 17:43:19

this is a very good idea to blog part time! I will let you know privately.

–blog for dream–

Comment by Tim
2007-09-27 17:46:11

gaman, how you manage to get high page rank in lower alexa ranking website ? I thought alexa ranking always affect the page rank?

those blogs are not bad!

–blog for dream–

2007-09-27 17:48:12

Alexa is based on physical traffic while Google PageRank is based on their own algo which has nothing to do with your traffic level :)

Comment by Jaxon S
2007-09-27 19:08:50

a stringer for gaman, sounds like a good idea to me. will consider submitting my resume..

Comment by iry Subscribed to comments via email
2007-09-27 20:55:34

gaman, can I know why you prefer to find contributor instead of adding one or two more (contract) bloggers? Just curious! :P

2007-09-27 21:46:45

In addition to saving some money, the posting frequency will increase faster when several writers contributing at once. More posts could potential bring more traffic from the search engines. All applicants still need to satisfy the requirements though.

Besides, I have other blogs where I don’t accept contributors. I am actually looking for more contract bloggers at the same time.

Comment by Sasha Blonde
2007-09-27 22:33:28

Thank you for this, but i still don’t use muliple blogs or MUWP, just use simple WP…

Comment by ahboon
2007-09-27 23:23:44

Thanks for sharing the plugin. I’m currently using Adsense Deluxe Plugin where the user have to manually insert the code. this Sharing Revenue is pretty useful as you can preset your adsense placement.

Comment by david
2007-09-28 02:28:21

That’s a pretty good code, using authors to reflect the adsense code so everyone gets their share.

Comment by Everton
2007-09-30 09:24:05

I have a slightly different system which I think is fairer as authors get paid for clicks within their actual posts, as opposed to the few clicks that are generated on the homepage.

I use the custom category templates plugin and I’ve created a category for each author. As long as they add their posts to their unique category, then I can track their clicks as those cat pages have unique adsense channels.

The beauty of this system is their earnings tend to increase each month as they add more posts.

2007-09-30 13:13:21

Actually in addition to the homepage, this plugin awards actual clicks within their actual posts. Like your system, the more they post the more they will earn. :)

Comment by Everton
2007-09-30 15:45:20

Ahhh ok, so your plugin adds a new adsense field to the profile page? I quite like my approach because it allows me to pay a share of the earnings rather than all, so I benefit.

At the moment I’m making a loss though as I’ve recruited a lot of guests and I pay a guaranteed min to keep my authors happy until their earnings cross the threshold.

2007-09-30 17:17:20

Yes. I’m giving 100% to the bloggers. Since most of the blogs are new I needed to offer a fair compensation to both sides. May be when those blogs reach your level of income, I’ll switch to your approach.

You are making a lost? Even from a blog that earn over 10K per month? Your minimum pay must be quite high.

Hey thanks for leaving your comments here :)

Comment by Everton
2007-09-30 18:12:46

yes, I’m making a loss on the per author payments overall e.g. one author’s min is $120, but his adsense earnings are only around $60 per month so far. My top guy is making around $400 dollars a month from his 1-2 posts per week, which we’re both really happy with!

Because the amount the site makes proportionally from adsense is falling as I’ve increased the guaranteed mins as I think this is fair, and also because the authors are really helping to increase the reach of the site and I really value their help, and because their posts help free up some of my time.

2007-10-01 14:01:16

that is a pretty high payout….but in the long run…you will be able to gain back

Comment by Donald Mckenzie Jr
2007-10-01 04:34:47

Thanks a lot for this information. Blogging will actually be much easier for me now.

Comment by Kevino Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-22 12:18:00

I am interested. But I am a newbie, what should I do?

Comment by icy
2007-11-10 02:09:31

May i know are you using WordPress multi-user in order to have multiple authors writing on your blogs?

Thanks!

Comment by Daily FX Subscribed to comments via email
2008-10-28 15:51:12

This is pretty interesting as I’m playing with an idea of inviting guest bloggers on my site. So an adsense revenue sharing seems to be a good proposition afterall.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully the plugin you have suggested isn’t outdated now.

Comment by reddebt
2008-10-28 17:23:01

wait. we really can do something like this? I never heard that. I thought its only works on forum.