Malaysian Can Now Withdraw Money from their PayPal Accounts

October 1, 2007 by

Not that you can’t withdraw before this but the steps usually make your head spin. Some enterprising Internet marketers even took advantage of the complicated steps by selling ebooks telling people how to do it.

Anyway, Wayne Liew emailed me to give a heads-up about a new feature recently introduced by PayPal. Wayne’s post refers to the original post by Sweet Surrender about PayPal is allowing money withdrawal to credit and debit card.

I usually don’t much pay attention to such news before. While I spent thousands of Ringgit monthly via PayPal, I’ve never really used it to accept payments.

Some of you may recall that I promoted MaxBounty at some of my websites. My main gripe about this program is that it automatically converts my commission checks into Ringgit and there’s no way avoiding this. While this means shorter clearing time, I prefer getting paid in US dollars and put up with with the long clearing time.

This is because local checks issued by MaxBounty utilise a terrible exchange rate resulting me to lose hundreds of Ringgit per clearance. This problem is getting worse by the day as the US dollar continues to weaken.

So I told my affiliate manager about this and she recommended me to accept PayPal payment. In such case, I don’t want the money to sit quietly in my PayPal account doing nothing. I rather put them in the bank and earn some interest.

So that’s how I started paying more attention to news related to withdrawing money from PayPal.

Anyhow, to withdraw funds from your PayPal account to a credit, debit, or prepaid card, just add a card with a Visa or MasterCard logo. To do so, go to Withdraw under the My Account tab and click Transfer funds to your card.

It costs USD5 to use this service and there’s a USD500 daily withdrawal limit. For most people I think that shouldn’t be a problem. If you plan to withdraw regularly, I recommend waiting until your balance is nearing the limit to save on service charges.

paypal.png

So, I logged into my PayPal account and tried entering my Public Bank MasterCard but it was rejected with the following message:

This withdrawal cannot be completed because your card issuer does not allow withdrawals to this card. To withdraw funds from your PayPal account to a credit, debit, or prepaid card, add a different card with a Visa or MasterCard logo.

I tried calling PBB card customer service but nobody picked up the phone. I thought they were offering a 24×7 customer service… Anyway, I emailed PayPal and surprisingly within minutes, I got a reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your concerns. I am happy to assist you further.

Understand you are thinking about trying our new feature for money withdrawal to credit card.

By viewing your account, we found out that you added MasterCard ending with 0***. I am afraid MasterCard can not be used for money withdrawal at the moment, but VISA & American Express card. If you only have one credit card, what do you think about adding US bank account that bank must be located in US soil or VISA debit card?

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,
Jie
PayPal, an eBay Company

So apparently they don’t accept MasterCard credit card at the moment. Why don’t they mention this on their website is beyond me. So I guess I’ll have to get a Visa debit/credit card then. Is there a debit card for MasterCard?

Comments

Comment by Wayne Liew
2007-10-01 07:49:30

I guess you should get yourself Public Bank Electron though. It’s Visa.

Comment by sunsuron
2007-10-01 09:45:31

This is good news! Thanks for the info…

Comment by jimmychin
2007-10-01 10:11:17

try to use visa…

Comment by Irene
2007-10-01 10:17:18

Thanks for the link :)

Comment by Patrick Teong
2007-10-01 10:24:01

Most important thing is, what is the conversion rate?

Comment by mrBadak Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-01 10:33:24

OMG.. how long has this feature been available? I tried to add a card and found out I have already registered a VISA in there… so I withdraw liao kekeke.. u know, come to think of it, last time one of my purchase thru creditcard/paypal was rejected and my money was returned to my creditcard… why didnt i figure it out earlier that they could transfer $ to my card… astaga…

anyway, thx for the info! p/s. my card is EON VISA.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-01 15:51:02

aiyo good for you! :)

Comment by dott-com
2007-10-01 11:13:33

that really good news for all malaysian online seller and making money online blogs that never had a chance to w/draw the paypal fund before. I think all malaysian should use the the service smartly if not maybe paypal will take back all the new service for us

Comment by iter
2007-10-01 11:28:33

wau.. really :D .. very good news, now i’m gonna open PayPal account. Ehehehe.. i have visa card but never use it … :P

Comment by Noorizam Shah
2007-10-01 11:51:48

so.. lepas ini mudah la saya nak withdraw money dari paypal. :)

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-01 11:55:07

I wonder when MasterCard will be accepted by PayPal… I don’t fancy applying for yet another card. Too many cards already, trying to get rid of most of them…

One more thing, I wonder if they accept a Visa card registered to another persons name – different paypal and card details.

Comment by KennyP Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-01 13:40:42

They don’t accept a card registered under a name other than PayPal account owner

Comment by Tan Chew Yeow
2007-10-01 12:05:31

so PayPal accept visa?
can I use my BSN Matrix Card ah? got Visa Electron.

Comment by pinvader
2007-10-01 18:08:31

good question. i also wanna know about this. anybody?

Comment by KennyP Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-01 13:45:05

I heard that the bank who issued the card will charge a fee when withdraw from PayPal to the card, does anyone has more related information?

2007-10-01 13:46:15

it is great news

Comment by Steven Wong
2007-10-01 13:50:13

At I knew, credit card issuers/banks doesn’t allow any withdrawal into the credit card as it is just for charge card function but not withdrawal. You need to get a DEBIT CARD to withdraw.

Make sure you ask for debit card but not credit card. You can get debit card from the following banks:
1) Public Bank Visa Electron
2) EON Bank MOL Freedom card
3) AmBank NextG
4) Al Rahji Bank Visa Debit Card

I went to check out from the PayPal sites and confirmed on this news not only for Malaysians.

In need a great news not only for Malaysians. These is available for 25 other Asia Pacific countries as well.

I have posted the details in my blog, you can tell you other friends who are in the countries list on the good news.

Comment by dott-com
2007-10-02 10:02:26

Ambank NextG card can’t be use to withdraw the Paypal fund.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-01 15:53:25

maybe if someone can compile all the credit card and debit card than CAN be use to withdraw from Paypal that would be great!! Tq :)

Comment by KennyP Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-01 17:03:06

Someone did it, but I forgot who

Comment by KeVin
2007-10-01 17:04:39

hmm…I have the PB visa electron, NextG and also the BSN matrix debit card….

will see which one can be use…

2007-10-01 17:32:52

Hi Kevin,

Please share your finding here: :)

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-01 17:47:32

yes kevin, don’t forget to share the outcome.. :)

Comment by KeVin
2007-10-02 07:48:00

@Gaman,Mr. Rajawang

sure will do….those who have test this, don’t forget to share it here…

Regards,

KeVin

Comment by Vishen
2007-10-01 18:51:33

HI Sabahan

This is Vishen from MindValley Labs. We’ve mentioned each other on our respective blogs before.

My company launched a new product called SocialRank.com and it powers a number of niche blog communities. On the Malaysian community (malaysia.dailyvoices.com), your blog currently has the #1 ranked post.

read about SocialRank.com and tell me if you want to a story on us. I’ll make myself available to you.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-01 21:19:20

you are off topic here.. :(

2007-10-03 16:07:21

Wow. Yay! Sabah boleh!

Comment by ben
2007-10-03 14:34:22

Ahah i think i am ready to try the withdrawal since i got my visa registered to paypal lols :)

Hmm …remember thou it is a good news..still..There is a minium charges for Credit card withdrawal which is Around Rm50.00 if am not mistaken.

2007-10-03 16:09:05

Okay, need to do some math on comparisons between this method and using VM card.

Comment by KeVin
2007-10-03 21:40:42

ok guys….my paypal status shown as complete today…now waiting for the money to arrive at my debit card… :P

Comment by eshark Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-04 01:10:23

very the good news!! a long waited for Malaysian.

Comment by lilian
2007-10-04 20:18:43

Psst…lost yr PR eh? My personal blog chanlilian.net also kena.

2007-10-04 23:54:27

wow you are really watching aren’t you :) BTW, I was unable to leave my comment at your blog. I thought it was Firefox but I’m having problem with IE too.

Comment by Tim
2007-10-05 12:46:09

It’s a real good news for all bloggers here !! :)

–blog for dream–

Comment by Lorna
2007-10-06 00:47:20

Hey, I just got found a snippet of info from LiewFC’s comments concerning Public Bank Visa Electron may NOT accept foreign funds into their account:

vincent Says:
December 9th, 2006 at 2:27 pm
Got this reply from PB customer service today

I’m keeping my fingers crossed on my Citibank Visa card and hope mine goes through.

2007-10-06 00:57:28

Do let us know how it goes Lorna. Thanks. BTW, it appears that the post was written in 2006, I hope they have changed their policy.

Comment by Lorna
2007-10-06 07:01:43

It WORKS!

I posted it up on my blog, and have a few words to say about it — I think you’ll find it useful.

Thanks for alerting us in the first place!

2007-10-08 16:04:28

Cool!

Comment by gerbercage
2007-10-08 12:04:08

This person already succesful on withdrawing paypal to public bank Visa Electron.

so I think this already not correct.

“vincent Says:
December 9th, 2006 at 2:27 pm
Got this reply from PB customer service today
1. You are not allow to bank in foreign funds in foreign currency to the Visa Electron Card account. The card account only can accept funds in Ringgit Malaysia.”

Comment by Lorna
2007-10-08 22:44:58

Very good news, I was waiting for someone to succeed with PB debit card!

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-08 23:23:32

I have succeeded too. paypal money is in my hands now!
:D

Comment by FM
2007-10-09 23:34:27

I withdrew my fund from PayPal on 04th Oct 07 to one of my Visa’s credit card. It was cleared yesterday. The bank charged RM40+ for the transaction.

2007-10-10 11:18:41

Rm40! That’s rather high I might say.

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-10 12:39:56

as u said B4 Kay, just 2-3 pu2b posts only ;)

Comment by rajapayloadz
2008-08-23 19:12:35

yup. they not accept mastercard anymore for withdrawal. So, use visa only like tunemoney and public bank.

Comment by Borneoman
2008-09-06 14:44:44

Dont ever use tune money it suck because it charger you so many fee than visa public bank debit card.

Comment by Calvin
2008-10-11 05:22:15

Have anyone tried paypal withdrawals directly into the tunemoney card?
Please let me know if it works.
thanks.

Comment by marie Subscribed to comments via email
2008-10-20 21:31:09

Hi people!
Anyone know if I could use the new ATM/Debit card from Maybank? It got Visa logo on it.
Thanks heaps!

Comment by mrsonk
2008-11-07 17:54:17

hallo..
im new with paypal
i want some guide from u all..
plz..who can tell me how to add amount to my paypal account?
(RM to Paypal)

my status verified n now using visa credit card..

email me..plz

thanx4all..

Comment by Adam Subscribed to comments via email
2010-02-25 19:19:27

Great post, thanks.

2010-05-20 19:37:27

Great news not only for Malaysians in need. The 25 other Asia Pacific countries is also available for
———