Latest Google PageRank Update – How Are You Doing?

October 5, 2007 by

I was reading 5xmom.com yesterday and noticed a post containing the word Sabahan.com in the title.

5xmom.com is one of the few local blogs that I like to visit for some dose of interesting insights about online making money issues that are often lacking in most local “how to make money” blogs.

The post mentions that Sabahan.com PageRank had dropped from PR5 to PR4. I don’t usually monitor my own PageRank regularly each time someone announces that an update is underway but this post has definitely caught my attention because it’s about me LOL.

In addition to Sabahan.com other blogs that have experienced a drop include Hongkiat.com and 5xmom’s personal blog at Chanlilian.net. Earlier, the popular JohnChow.com had also lost its PageRank 6.

So what’s happening here?

As mentioned in the post, I’ve never wrote paid posts in Sabahan.com so that couldn’t be a reason for the PR drop. Writing paid post means, you are not only spreading your PageRank amongst your internal pages but across the external site as well.

So instead of voting for your own pages, your vote goes to the external site. As a result, your internal pages will have a smaller share of your own Google juice. When you are leaking PageRank here and there it would be harder to climb up the PageRank ladder especially if you are just starting out.

While I’m aware that writing paid posts could offer a good source of income, there’s a balance you need to observe between putting money in your pocket and building a good reputation as far as Google is concern. That is if you are concern about your Google PageRank and search engine rankings. But then again, you don’t have to depend on Google to make money do you? :)

My personal opinion is that a site with PR7 or higher would likely be able to get away with almost anything, and emerge unscathed after each PR update. After you gain Google’s trust, your content will be seen as credible and useful for readers regardless of whether they are paid post or not. That’s not to say you are invisible though.

While I don’t do paid post here, I do sell text link ads but I’ve been careful not to accept ads that are remotely unrelated to my niche.

If selling TLA is the reason why I lost my PR, I wonder if AdesBlog.com, a blog with a PR7 will be next. Unlike Sabahan.com, Adesblog.com is more willing to accept text links from totally unrelated niches but so far it manages to sail through the PR update unscathed.

I can think of several other possible reasons for the drop in PR such as my Partner Page which Google might consider as an excessive link exchange attempt. Other reason could be perhaps some of the high PR pages have suddenly stopped linking to Sabahan.com

But at the end of the day, it’s not something that’s worth losing sleep over – it’s how the system works and the only constant is change. I have other websites that have been experiencing changes in their PR where one website has its PR juggled between PR5 and PR6 over the course of several years but it doesn’t affect the bottom line and traffic level.

While I understand that PageRank is important especially if you are writing paid post or selling text links ads, you’ll be better off spending your time building a better blog and not to worry too much about your PageRank.

Unless my PR drops to 0 overnight, it’s business as usual for me.

Comments

Comment by jaxon s Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-05 14:32:32

i was curious to know what would be your reaction about the PR drop, and it’s good to know you’ve taken it positively.

life goes on..

Comment by helen
2007-10-05 17:03:16

Sorry to hear that but PR number is no indication of real traffic, right? :-) You still have your readers. :-)

Take care.

Comment by gaman
2007-10-06 01:31:19

I’m orait. Thanks for your visit.

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-05 17:19:12

Gaman, are you saying if I do enough paid posts, and if my PR is below 7, it will eventually, like a long tail graph, come down landing at zero?

Lilian Chan and jpajuni.blog.com are laden, or perhaps a better word is overflowing, with paid posts (they started about 10 months ago) but their PR was at 4 and now dropped a notch to 3. As you said, they’re leaking PRs left and right and perhaps top, bottom and centre too. So at the current rate, their PR should be zero in say… minimum 3 years from now?

2007-10-05 17:21:58

Comment by Kay
2007-10-05 18:05:18

My PR dropped from 3 to zero in one night.

Comment by Wayne Liew
2007-10-05 19:57:14

No change for my PR5 spam blog which is full of sponsored post but my new blog, which is predicted to have a PR5, is still at PR N/A

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-05 21:02:57

my blog also still PR 0 ! not sure whether it is already updated and given 0 or not..

Comment by vangardx
2007-10-06 09:35:14

im sorry to hear that gaman, my pr from n/a became 0..isit a good sign?

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-06 09:57:46

hi gaman, I am not sure whether you have realized it yet but your PR has gone down to PR2 ! No wonder my new rajawang blog is only PR0.. :(

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-06 10:02:17

opss my mistake..but I am almost sure it was a PR2.. don’t worry now it is still a PR4..maybe my seoquake is failing or my eye needs a new spec..or wait a minute; I don’t wear any! ahahhaha chioow.

2007-10-06 11:21:05

Now if it drops to PR2, I am sure something is wrong with Google ;)

Comment by dott-com
2007-10-06 14:37:08

the mommy site also goes from pr5 to pr4 now…lol..to new site like mine…maybe there don’t have any PR…lol

Comment by Andrew Ooi
2007-10-06 19:45:02

So happened I documented my PR and Alexa rankings for all my 22 blogs last month.

A quick check on all of them showed no changes at all. I only have 2 PR4 blogs and many other PR3 and lower.

With all the terrible drops in PR from our local blogs I just hope mine remains the same. Or probably Google just don’t notice insignificant bloggers like me :)

2007-10-06 19:45:22

My blog still stays at 3.

Comment by Lorna
2007-10-08 00:34:12

I have a theory — could it be that Google is checking up due to the competition backlinking? You know, those competition where people blog about your site and they’re entered into a competition to win your free hosting… something like that?

I suppose Google is the only one who have the real answer.

2007-10-08 02:19:14

If it’s as popular as JohnChow’s contests it’s possible but not at the rate people are entering my contest. I guess it’s a combination of everyting that could possibly go wrong

2007-10-08 10:10:02

it should come back…it should come back..i think you should do some cleaning up at your partner pages.

2007-10-08 10:55:15

Yea I do that like once a week or a fortnight. If the PR doesn’t improve in the future, I may remove the page entirely.

Comment by hanafi
2007-10-09 02:05:59

Hi, I am new in blogging. How do you find out your google page rank? Tq

2007-10-09 09:43:01

Just install Google ToolBar

Comment by ketyung Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-09 10:40:42

Yeah, the digpagerank tool here I found quite useful for you to view page rank from multiple google centre.
Sabahan.com really dropped from 5 to 4… DigPageRank
Same to my techchee.com, this happened to me even 2-3 months earlier than you guys, as I did write some paid posts…but no more now. Anyway, I dont depend much on Google traffic, I get huge traffic from stumbleupon and little from digg :D

Comment by Kitkat
2007-10-09 12:39:39

I have hoped my blog Kongtechnology.com would at least go to PR4, but no… it stays at PR2. Very sad, but maybe because I haven’t worked hard enough or smart enough. Haha.

Comment by akshay Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-11 18:51:47

i have noticed changes in my sites ranking and that i think the google updates are now happening finally after 6 months!!! i have seen changes and there are other stats/results at http://googlebugs.com that show updates for them.

thanks
aks

Comment by Charles Lau Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-17 05:18:44

It’s been a while since I came by your blog again… I was surprised to see another blog dropping in page rank… Seems like Google is taking action to do something very different this time since the last update took so long… Anyway, I still don’t see any pagerank updates from my site though

Comment by Larry Lim
2007-10-18 09:56:54

Strange! Until today, there’s not been any PR change on all my websites. FYI, they’re from PR3 to PR6.

Comment by WTJ
2007-10-19 15:02:58

mine remain unchange

Comment by akshay Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-19 16:46:21

i think google are thinking of a new way of updating this time it feels very strange! i need to know what they are doing

Comment by mypapit
2007-10-28 20:10:30

that’s right, you’re still my hero

Comment by colbert
2007-10-30 06:38:45

my celeb site has been hit too. It was 5/10 earlier and now its 4/10. Looks like my revenue will be dropping for the next few months.

Comment by skyjuice
2007-11-19 23:33:56

for me still like usual. the highest website got PR6 and 1 been upgrade from PR4 – PR5 and 3 more been promote from PR0 to PR4.

not bad eh but since google already declare war with text link sale. maybe i need to monetize this website in different way.

Comment by yinka
2008-01-13 01:22:38

google is playing trick on my site http://www.spiralteck.com
i think they ought to reason why they drop page ranks

Comment by Hari Subscribed to comments via email
2008-05-14 14:59:14

Even my PR was 3 one month back and went 3 few days back and now it became 0. What the hell? Will i get my 3 PR back? any chance? Or i have to wait like i waited in the beginning.

Comment by web
2008-09-29 08:20:52

Can someone please tell me why my website http://www.spiralteck.com page ranks keeps alternating between pr3 and pr4