How’s Your AdSense Income So Far for the Month of October?

October 16, 2007 by

About on the same day when Google reduced my PageRank, I started seeing a drop in my daily AdSense revenue. Up till today, I’ve earned 30% less than that of last month income. The downward trend is evident from my daily AdSense earnings as you can see below.

Several people over at DigitalPoint Forum have reported similar experience where some see $30 per day reductions and some seeing worse.

My AdSense stats tell me something is happening behind the scene. Does this have anything to do with the recent incident where Google ran amok reducing PageRank all over the web?

Check out my daily income in September and October below and note the difference in the daily income.

adsense-daily-sept.gif

adsense-daily-oct.gif

Could it be that my sites have been hit by smart pricing where one poorly converting site can “smart price” an entire AdSense account? If that’s the case I wonder if the effect has to be this abrupt. I hope it’s a normal earnings fluctuating over time. Several factors that could have affected AdSense earnings are changes in ad inventory, advertisers demand, and fluctuation in the cost per click or cost per thousand impressions of the ads that appear on your sites.

On a closer inspection, I noticed the drop in income is due to the reduction in the number of clicks my ads get but interestingly page impressions remain almost unchanged. So obviously, smart pricing has nothing to do with this. The right question to ask now is why all of a sudden my visitors stop clicking on my ads?

One explanation that I can think of is that, some good advertisers might have stopped spending money advertising on AdSense network. So my sites ended up getting low quality ads that aren’t targeted towards my audience.

The only way to overcome this is to filter low quality ads or ones that look like they are made for AdSense sites (MFA). Then again, if you don’t have good advertisers to begin with, they could be the next best thing since your pages are optimized to displayed the best paying advertisers by default and MFA advertisers are what you got at the moment.

The interesting thing is, while there might be a lot of people who are experiencing a drop in income, as usual, there will also be people who have seen their income improve in the month of October. Regardless, it’s important not to put all your eggs in one basket. What will happen if you lose all your AdSense income today? It would be harder to survive such debacle when you depend on one source of income only.

How’s your AdSense income for the month of October? Is it increasing, decreasing or remains the same as in the previous months?

Comments

Comment by Jaxon S
2007-10-16 10:10:21

Looking from the month-on-month comparison, it does look like a drastic drop. But I’d be glad if I can get $240 a month or even half of that.

Maybe it’s just temporary.

2007-10-16 10:13:46

whoeee…..i am also feeling it

Comment by Raymond.CC
2007-10-16 10:39:45

Gaman, my adsense has been affected too. It started about 4 days ago. Just hope that it’s temporary… The weird thing is, even my Kontera is affected!

Impressions and CTR dropped a little, but the eCPM is terribly low.

2007-10-16 14:24:29

That sounds like you get hit by smart pricing. Just wait and see what happens in the next few days and keep us updated.

Comment by iry
2007-10-16 10:48:54

Experience something similar ( more worse actually ) starting from beginning of Oct.. Hope things will go better in Nov or Dec because of the Christmas celebration.. :)

Comment by lilian aka 5xmom
2007-10-16 11:42:55

Mine dropped about 40%. But what’s weird is my highest income earning blog has zero clicks even when the page impressions are like 300. This is very unusual. BTW, I just got so pissed with those sites who scrape our contents and put lots of adsense there.

2007-10-16 14:05:33

yes..I smell something is going on behind Google’s closed door :)

About the scraping content, I agree. Seems to be getting worse lately. I wonder if it has anything to do with the topic I’ve just written about AdSense arbitrage.

The post is timestamped for tomorrow morning.

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-16 14:38:42

I also got affected you know..usually I got $20-40 a day but now lucky to get past $10 mark.. :(

But as you said, it is all about trying new way to make money other than big G..

Comment by david
2007-10-17 00:46:55

Are those revenue from just this one site?

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2007-10-17 00:49:11

I guess no, look at the sabahan.com’s footer-maybe that’s all gaman sites that contribute to the earnings.. :)

2007-10-17 01:05:26

Some of the profitable sites are not listed there actually :)

Comment by iter
2007-10-17 10:12:44

:0 wah.. $240.67!!! my google adsense income is $1 a month… that means i have to wait 100 months to get paid..:((

Comment by papajoneh
2007-10-17 10:59:32

long time didn’t check my adsense. I’m not making lot of money like all of you however I do noticed since last week from the report, my adsense IS ACTUALLY INCREASING steadily. And I have 2 sites only!?! Maybe Big G playing tricks on me. Must be.

Comment by Raymond.CC
2007-10-17 21:09:06

The Page eCPM is going up again :) and so is my earnings. What about you Gaman.

Comment by BlogsTheme.com
2007-10-18 03:48:19

I’ve earned $33 so far this month, but I have adsense only on a couple of websites. And yes ranking does matter, for example if you have a new website that hasnt been indexed yet, you will see some low CPC, but if you have a big well ranked website, you will see a lot of money coming in.

It’s part of the: the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer thingy…

Comment by Raymond.CC
2007-10-18 08:48:43

Or you can say, the hardworking ones will work harder, and the non-hardworking ones will just… let go.

Comment by Larry Lim
2007-10-18 09:54:05

Nope – it’s moving upwards for me if at all. I usually don’t see a significant difference except during summer months when it’s low and the Christmas period when it’s high. Again, it would depend on the niche you’re in.

2007-10-18 15:15:01

Thought so too but I have my AdSense ads placed in many different niches.

Comment by ronn
2007-10-18 11:38:38

Something is going on definitely but I guess google is experimenting their new technologies.

Comment by Larry Lim
2007-10-18 23:41:38

Gaman: anyway, I just cashed out on my oldest site yesterday and will be off-loading the others too because I’m going full time into consultancy. Blogged about it today and unsurprisingly it generated a lot of interest because of the amount sold.

Comment by cyberst0rm
2007-10-19 19:34:35

It’s been a slack month for me as well. AdSense revenue is down about 30% compared with the same period last month. My traffic and CTR has stayed fairly constant throughout this time.

Google is up to something. I just hope it doesn’t continue for much longer!!

cyberst0rm’s tech blog

Comment by Andrew Ooi
2007-10-23 18:57:25

My impressions has been dropping lately but strangely my Google income has risen slghtly.

Comment by Calvin
2007-10-29 04:32:36

its normal, usually your earnings would drop during winter time in america.

2007-10-29 09:55:32

Well it’s not normal for me and for many people for that matter. Earnings may drop during the summer when people in the US and UK are outside enjoying the sunshine.

But in winter it typically increases as people are gearing up for the holiday shopping season. People who have been selling products online for sometime are aware of that seasonal trend.

I sell most of my own products during the winter too.

Comment by baloot inc
2007-11-11 17:07:08

my monthly adsense income only $100+.

but, its quite ok. because im using blogspot.

Comment by MYBlog
2007-11-14 23:09:25

Mine $800+

2007-11-15 01:16:24

Seriously? So your earning jumps from $13 in september to $800 plus in October? Interesting. Then I assume the $13 was from one of your blogs.

Comment by Raymond.CC
2007-11-16 08:43:42

My adsense has started to drop again… These past few days been getting really low eCPM. Anyone else affected? Or is it just me.

Comment by dicky
2007-11-21 10:12:27

Google not only hit blogger which place text-link-ads, i heard they are now hitting blogger who join pay-per-post……

Comment by sam kotadia Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-25 07:05:29

My adsense income seems to be growing quite nicely at the moment. I am getting about a 5% click through rate. I think thats not too bad?

Comment by BlackWasp Subscribed to comments via email
2007-12-05 17:32:22

Completely with you on this one. Comparing October to November I see that my clicks are roughly the same, my page impressions are about 1% higher but my revenue is about 35% down. The first few days of December are suggesting a decrease of 50% on November with higher clicks. I am starting to think about considering other options if this continues.

Comment by Michael
2008-11-29 15:00:48

That’s strange. My adsense revenue remains consistent so far.

Comment by BlackWasp Subscribed to comments via email
2008-12-02 02:14:35

Hehe, there was about a year gap between those st two comments!

Interestingly, my revenue grew from the new year up until October when I got my best ever. November was just above half of October though. Perhaps the credit crunch?

Comment by savings accounts Subscribed to comments via email
2008-12-02 07:29:38

those are amazing numbers, are they from this site or combination of site? great job there

Comment by tihuta
2009-01-18 20:43:56

great job

Comment by donnyien Subscribed to comments via email
2010-03-30 22:06:09

mine is $0.67 for two month!huhh..just started blogging actually about few month ago.need to get more visitor to my blog..

Comment by Free Voucher
2012-05-26 10:45:31

Hope I am able to get as much as you did in adsense. :)