Google’s YouTube Lost Its High PageRank

October 28, 2007 by

That’s right, somehow Google own video sharing website has suffered a major drop in PageRank after the recent shake up. From where I am, currently it’s a 3. The Future PageRank tool also indicates that the value is consistent across all datacenter.

I don’t recall YouTube selling text link ads, so obviously Google is looking at other areas when deciding whether a site’s PageRank should be reduced.

youtubepr.PNG

If it’s not a glitch, perhaps Google had decided that YouTube is no longer an important website for whatever reason and therefore doesn’t deserve the high PageRank.

Regardless, it goes to show that Google doesn’t discriminate when it comes to setting PageRank value for their own properties. Then again, if it’s not a spam penalty, I’m incline to think that this is a normal fluctuation during a PageRank update and surely YouTube would set to regain its former PageRank.

Comments

Comment by BlogsTheme.com
2007-10-28 23:58:43

One of my websites went from 4 to 3. So far that’s the only damage I’ve seen, but in the same time other website went up. I guess that’s search engine’s life, some websites go up and some go down.

Comment by Alvin Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-29 01:18:57

When a site goes down, it does not mean that the particular site has a problem. It could be due to the inbound links that Google has discounted from other sites. Collateral damage? As long as traffic is not affected, there should be nothing to worry about unless the site sells link which depends on the PR.

2007-10-29 10:03:18

I know but YouTube is not an ordinary website like yours and mine.

My point is Google owns YouTube and it’s good to know they don’t set their own PageRank manually.

Come to think of it, I think the reason for the drop was because there are many blogs linking to YouTube and these blogs may have their PR reduced during the recent PR update. As a result this affects YouTube own PR.

Comment by Alfred Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-29 04:05:29

where do you check the pagerank ?

2007-10-29 10:28:08

I checked with

some inner page still shows PR 5…maybe only the front page is dropped

Comment by ketyung
2007-10-29 11:40:14

Hi wahlau.net, your livepr one is checking fr a different Google DC instead of the 1 for Google toolbar..nice tool indeed. But I guess now, a page is having high PR depends on whether it has high number of incoming links to it. Maybe youtube frontpage is having much fewer links than other of its internal pages. E.g a page that has a very interesting video clip definitely has many people link to it than the front page :) But guys… don’t worry abt PR la. Blog still can make $$ by banner counts by impression just like mine, instead of selling text link :)

Comment by weirdoux
2007-10-29 11:57:08

i’ve got 2 blogs PR downgraded, but the rest 6 blogs are upgraded. but i still not confirm the updated it “TRUE” or a permanent. but i think the latest updated is a “glitch” because I was told by one of my friends that she just blogged for about one month and her blog already got PR2.

so what in this world that one month’s blog qualified for the PR? (because Google said it will be 3 months for every PR update)

what say you?

Comment by ketyung
2007-10-29 13:45:24

Just for your info. It wouldnt be a surprise after blogging for 1-2 months get a PR2 or more. My blog got a PR4 for the url with www and PR2 without www after 1-2 months of blogging. After that I tried using 403 redirect to join both with www and without www to make it equal then I got a PR 2, but a few months later another PR update I got back to PR4 for both…then I got penalized dropped to PR3 and stayed PR3, the recent update that could be “glitches” pushed me back to PR4 :)

2007-10-29 11:58:00

What a mystery huh? Only Larry Page and Sergey Brin have the full details.

Comment by Alb
2007-10-29 13:08:29

Seems like PERMALINK is the most important point in calculation of google PageRank instead of the HOME page. Let’s find the formula… :D

Comment by Alvin Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-29 16:05:37

Wouldn’t it be more beneficial to focus on our own business than to let the little green bar dictates how we run our online business? For me, I don’t even bother to put in my url in blog comments, hoping to get a free one-way link from sabahan.com

There are so many internet business models that can work beautifully without Google or any PR. Or even Adsense.

Just my own opinion.

2007-10-29 23:18:52

The comment URL is “no follow” by default.

Comment by Alfred Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-29 20:39:19

Somehow my pagerank always shows as zero. Can someone tell me what could be wrong ?

2007-10-30 11:37:11

Maybe due to the fact that your blog is very very new…only started oct 3rd. Your blog will be given some on the next update

Comment by Azmeen
2007-10-30 06:00:50

…and she’s back to PR8 now ;)

2007-10-30 13:49:02

That’s what I expected.

Comment by david
2007-10-30 06:50:52

It shows that Google is fair

Comment by papajoneh
2007-10-30 06:51:03

Youtube is alive and kicking at PR8 now :D

Comment by dott-com
2007-10-30 11:39:31

alive with PR8 means all the debate about the Y.Tube PR are useless.

Comment by surfaddict Subscribed to comments via email
2007-10-30 14:22:57

my main blog got no increase yet or not at all. :)
however for my new site, increase from pr0 to pr3. Waiting some updated for my main blog, already bored with the PR3 :)

Comment by BlogsTheme.com
2007-10-31 06:17:02

I have a friend who got penalized with one google pagerank point and not he’s getting 4 times the amount of traffic he used to before the PR update. All this from google!

Comment by Thomas Sinfield
2007-11-04 01:44:25

what is with some website PR going down then up, John Chows did as well.