New Advertising Units at Sabahan.com

November 16, 2007 by

As you may have noticed, I’ve started adding a couple of new advertising units on Sabahan.com. Obviously one that’s making a come back is Kontera.

I tried signing up with Nuffnang but stopped short of completing the form when I was asked for my IC number. May be I am used to giving out only basic personal information during any online sign up and when more is required, I’ll feel a little hesitant to proceed.

I once tried registering with one of the forums for one of the popular reality TV program at Astro.com.my but never did so when they asked for my handphone number, occupation, age, IC and every personal detail that you would prefer to keep private. And they made everything compulsory.

Having a privacy policy did little to alleviate my concern. I wasn’t trying to buy products and services that worth thousands of dollars which may justify the need for such information. I was just trying to be a member of their free, highly moderated forum and that’s a price I wasn’t willing to pay.

Then there’s this download site called Skali, a company based in Malaysia. I was trying to register as a developer and submit my software to their download site. You would expect they offered a simple sign up form, but that wasn’t the case. I think it’s one of the most privacy intrusive registration form among the online download sites. I hope things have changed for the better today.

Regardless, I think I’ll sign up with Nuffnang anyway. At least their form isn’t as bad as that of Astro or Skali as they made some info optional. Update: It appears that the website is currently being upgraded and I wasn’t able to register. Do they actually ask you to validate your email DURING the registration process even before you submit the form? I kept on receving the error: "You have not validated your email" huh? OK will try again later.

From today, you’ll start seeing more ad units from different companies here. If you find some of them a bit too much, I hope you bear with me while I run this “experiment”. :) I might start selling ad inventories directly soon if there’s a demand, let see how it goes.

A few days ago I was trying to sign up with WidgetBucks via the affiliate link supplied by one of my users. Strangely, I found that my email was already registered. Then I recalled an email from Jim Kukral who told me that I and a few other bloggers were preregistered into the program during the prelaunch.

I never did find the time to promote the program, otherwise would be paid $5 per signup during the prelaunch period! So sorry Ahmad, I guess I am unable to register under your link.

Yesterday someone from Google gave me a call. Initially, I thought I was selected to be part of some kind of special program, or they decided to increase my AdSense payout percentage… I wish lol.

Sadly it was none of those. They called to ask if I have received the email about a bug in Google Website Optimizer and reminded me to implement the fix as soon as possible.

It was a surprise to find that Google is willing to take the time to call each user of Website Optimizer individually to get their message across. If you are one of their users, you should have received the following email:

On November 7 (PST), we became aware of a bug in Website Optimizer that makes your experiment pages vulnerable to tampering. We have now identified the problem and created a fix (information below). However, to correct this problem you must modify the control scripts on all of your experiment pages. The control script is the Javascript you added to the top of your experiment pages. This script must be changed on all pages involved in past and present experiments. This will eliminate the risk of tampering from this bug.

For a detailed explanation of how to modify your control scripts, please visit this page: https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=80544.
We apologize for the inconvenience that this likely will cause. Please let us assure you that Google takes the security of our users and our advertisers very seriously. Keeping you informed and providing timely fixes is our number one priority.

Again, we urge you to implement this fix for your control scripts as soon as possible.

Comments

Comment by cashmarble.com
2007-11-16 16:27:40

Well it’s actually good to have varieties of Ads program in your blog beside experimenting what’s best for your blog when it’s come making money with ads.

Comment by What Sells Online! Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-16 16:55:30

I think it’s great that you are signing up for more advertisements. But I guess at some point in time you’d have to release some personal information. Otherwise, how are they going to send you the check, or TT into your bank account?

I guess local companies also need the IC to verify that you are indeed an actual person. Otherwise, some people may register several times under different names.

On the Google call, perhaps they called you because you are one of their major customers in the country?

Keep it up!

Cheers, Samantha

2007-11-16 18:11:36

I don’t mind giving away standard information. The one that I was talking about has nothing to do with my address or how they are sending the checks.

You know like date of birth, place of birth, your REAL income, you handphone number, home number, office number, and the sort and they were NOT optional and no they don’t use that info to send me payments. I have signed up with thousands of online services and I know which ones are intrusive and which aren’t.

Comment by Ahmad Uzair
2007-11-16 16:59:20

Nevermind Gaman..

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-16 17:43:54

Gaman, your typo of Nuffnang (you wrote Nuffnag in at least 2 posts already) is unintentional or …

2007-11-16 18:22:55

LOL, corrected .

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-16 21:00:59

On a lighter note: Nuffnag sounds like something I’d say to the wife: Nuffnag! (enough nagging!) haha

Comment by meh
2007-11-16 18:17:59

hey u started usin widgetbucks^^
c this post… http://www.cashquests.com/widgetbucks-is-run-by-monkeys

2007-11-17 00:07:26

Thanks for the info. I guess that’s the end of WidgetBucks short stint at this blog huh?

Comment by meh
2007-11-17 14:42:29

use chitika lol

2007-11-17 23:49:08

Actually, Chitika doesn’t pay clicks from non US traffic also.

Comment by meh
2007-11-18 11:09:30

omg, i didnt know that lol
but cant blame them actually…
its true that we dont/cant buy from amazon n others

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-18 16:40:04

I thought Triple D (Rajawang.com), a Sabahan blogger got almost USD200 from widgetbucks recently?

Comment by Chong
2007-11-16 18:23:49

Actually the IC thing of Nuffnang is quite new. It was not required previously. When I checked my profile in the Nuffnang 2.0 just now, I noticed that the IC field of my profile was left blank although it is marked as “compulsory” field.

Comment by icy
2007-11-16 22:15:53

Having some advertisements on the blog are accepted by readers la, no worry ~!!!!

Comment by nimrodjo Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-17 14:52:21

Waiting for the outcome of your experiment…I predict your income will have a rise?..

Comment by meh
2007-11-17 15:00:53

since this a make money online blog
thrs no prob at all puttin loads of ads lol
coz alrdy made clear that u want to make money online…
thrs stil some ad that not every disturbing like vizu(www.vizu.com), chitika(chitika.com), ttz media(evil john chow ad network)

lil tweak that might increase kontera ctr:
1.use snap shot(www.snap.com)…like this all link will hv a pop-up thg, kontera link n normal link will look almoz same lol. beside that,snap shot can earn money too
2.don put any link in post..
juz my two cent^.^

2007-11-17 22:52:22

The Kontera links and normal links colour are created differently on purpose. No offence but I hate snap.com.

I’ll put more ads but I am not that desperate to the point that I’ll make this blog a giant billboard LOL.

Comment by kay kastum Subscribed to comments via email
2007-11-18 00:19:15

This experiment is better than the ones in the school labs.

Comment by david
2007-11-18 10:07:36

What’s the size for mpire ads? Will take longer to load your website with flash ads.

Comment by cashmarble.com
2007-11-18 17:32:51

Well if widgetbucks started to do like that, then you guys should target more visitors from US then lols.

2007-11-19 16:32:21

ah…hope it generates more money for you

Comment by Wing Loon