Finally! My Net Connection Is Restored

February 16, 2008 by

If you were expecting posts from me during the weekdays, I should inform you that I was deprived of an Internet connection when the net access for my town went kaput for 5 days.

I contacted Streamyx support for an update of a report I lodged earlier and later contacted the local TM exchange to find out what took them so long to fix the problem only to be given a conflicting information where one party basically blamed the other.

To be fair to them, I felt that someone somewhere did try to do something (after several follow-ups), just not as fast or perhaps not as competent as they should had been.

Otherwise we wouldn’t have waited this long to have our connection restored. While our online businesses were affected, the least they could do was to make the customers understand what the real issue was instead of asking them to wait.

On top of that, we still have to pay the monthly fee regardless of the quality of the connection. Asking for a refund is not worth the trouble unless one is willing to flood them with 20 to 30 emails a day. Has anyone tried this before? LOL

Anyhow, thankfully everything seems to return to normal now.

Now I’d like to bring your attention to a post I wrote sometime last year. It basically answers a nagging question one might have after reading my last post where I talk about how not to make money from blogging.

Can you really make money from a blog that teaches others how to make money? No doubt you can. However I think it would considerably demand more effort to be successful as compare to when you focus on niches that attract a wider audience. That’s especially true if you are new to the world of blogging.

Even though the post was written last year, much of it is still relevant today, except for point number 4 where I talked about monetizing your blog with Text Link Ads. Unless you are living in a cave somewhere, selling or buying text link ads is a big no no if being awarded a decent Google PageRank is one of your blogging goals.

Comments

Comment by limadang.com
2008-02-16 15:23:31

Welcome back bro!

Comment by Fahmishah
2008-02-16 16:35:36

welcome back! i’m also having the same problem

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2008-02-16 17:16:29

Welcome back. What, the whole of Tambunan down for 5 days? That’s just unacceptable.

Some time ago, someone wrote that if Streamyx is a “best effort” service, then our payment should also be a “best effort” :-)

You’ve brought up a very interesting topic to talk about. Being someone relying on an internet connection for a living, have you thought about having a backup connectivity (from other ISPs)? Or perhaps you already have. Perhaps you’d like to blog about this later.

2008-02-16 17:42:59

I have actually but haven’t acted on it (I used to have dialup as a backup). This is the first serious connection outage since December 2006. If it becomes more frequent then, it’s time to have a backup line.

For now Streamyx is the best in town. I heard from a friend that the service from Digi in my area is medicore at best.

Comment by BobbyT Subscribed to comments via email
2008-02-16 17:18:05

Hi, I did read your recommendation of not starting another “money making” blog and it makes perfect sense. But I think there’s still so many such blogs being groomed is because this topic is popular. We certainly don’t need to be at the top of the pile to attract considerable traffic, in comparison with other more mundane topics, try promoting a blog about knitting, sewing perhaps? How much traffic would that attract?

So, I dunno, considering a money making blog myself… but won’t be expecting to be the cream of the crop, still the traffic will be too tempting to resist!

2008-02-16 17:35:07

Popular is relative. If you are talking about attracting tons of organic traffic, creating another how to make money blog isn’t the best route to take. Been there done that :)

Comment by Mr. Rajawang
2008-02-17 12:11:17

I certainly agree with Gaman’s opinion.. been there done that too. Lol :)

Comment by BobbyT Subscribed to comments via email
2008-02-17 15:59:13

Well, considering themes such as “education”, “family” and “self-help/improvement” too..

Comment by techsnack Subscribed to comments via email
2008-02-18 10:00:57

Streamyx again. My Streamyx will down for few days each month. I contact them but they never fix for me. Just say reset my port….

Comment by fashionasia
2008-02-18 23:38:22

my streamyx seems to be REALLY SLOWWW these days…..

erm…btw gaman, how come your widgetbucks is still visible? mine has just gone blank…i think its got to do with our geographic location….so ppl in malaysia cannot see the widgetbucks but ppl from the US can see it….??? is it like that?? i have no idea how come it just wouldnt display on my site…

2008-02-19 00:59:45

No wonder lah. I thought you went overseas or what..

Comment by Steve Wong
2008-02-20 10:57:45

no worry bro….we understand that…. and welcome back!

Comment by news bandit
2008-02-21 10:51:37

I hate when connections go down! Good to see you back in action.

Comment by Dave
2008-02-26 12:44:13

5 days downtime? You should DEFINITELY claim back from TM. Sure, it will only be 10 bucks or so, but it will take them several man-hours to process it. If enough people do it, they will realise it is cheaper to fix the problem quickly than have to hire a lot more accounting staff to be handing out refunds.

I have received at least 3 refunds when my service was cut off for longer than the specified time (2 working days?). It only takes an email.

Comment by Shueqry
2008-02-27 12:22:42

I have the same problem with Streamyx.

I wanna call this ‘karenah birokrasi’. It was the case last year in December when my modem need to be replaced, after it get burned or ‘hangus’ in heavy stromy rain.

I i still have the valid warranty, but TmPoint and Tm contractor too slow to give me a new modem.

Instead of waiting for them, i’ve got a job in a cyber cafe here in Kota Kinabalu. Still have priviledge to use the internet!

-Shueqry-

Comment by papajoneh
2008-02-27 17:49:32

confirmed still no connection there gaman? Or just total holidaying for this blog?
I hope to hear from you soon.

Comment by papajoneh
2008-02-28 16:54:06

is there a new domain that I dont know? Is really gaman on holiday? Or maybe is he really no connection at tambunan now? Man, that sucks man.

2008-02-28 21:53:38

Hi papajoneh.. sorry to keep you waiting. My Internet connection is fine now but was trying to catch up on something. I’ll write about it here tomorrow ;)

2008-02-29 08:09:43

Campaigning for any parties ka?

2008-02-29 13:18:27

haha no lah

Comment by papajoneh
2008-02-29 23:47:16

Hahaha. Kay, thats a good one. Our ‘Huguan Siau’ Pairin maybe need new website or something from the local and Gaman just fit the bill nicely. Hahaha.

Comment by Syahid A.
2008-03-10 21:37:33

Gaman, next time, just call and call Streamyx again in the next few hours to TMNet until they solve your problem. I have experienced this kind of problem too, and this is my recommended action.

Comment by becky
2008-03-18 04:15:34

yikes… 5 days? I would’ve gone craaazy without my internet for that long.

Comment by shawne
2008-03-19 20:08:43

mMMm.. you’re so good at posting an articles.. No wonder you can get much attentions hehehe.. 100 Votes For Sabahan.com oOO yea.. Don’t forget to signup at my Blog K Guys.. You’re all welcome!!!

Think Kmunity.
(BKmunity)
Budakampung.NET©

2008-03-20 00:58:34

Shawne is fired up man… :)

Comment by shawne
2008-03-28 13:47:25

hahah.. hi there kay kastum.. :) where’s gaman?? elloo anybody home?

2008-03-28 14:21:44

Hi shawne,

Sorry to keep you waiting. I’ve been trying to complete a website. Will post something soon. Cheers!

Comment by shawne
2008-03-28 17:39:33

:) it’s ok gaman.. i’m waiting till that i’m getting a new bunch of stories inside my blog.. cu’mon guys let’s check it out!! gimme your comments!!

Comment by Felex Tan
2008-04-02 09:26:45

I sugggest that Streamyx should have a backup plan and future plan.Due to the massive subcribers nowadays,perhaps,the systems can’t support so many subscribers anymore.They should update often.