Miscellaneous Ramblings of My Pay per Click Marketing Effort

April 4, 2008 by

For the past weeks, I barely had time to check my RSS feeds, a daily routine that keeps me up-to-date with the latest trends and happenings around the Internet.

Instead, most of my time was spent reading, listening and learning new things about pay-per-click (PPC) marketing and actually doing it. Some of you may recall that I’ve been working on my PPC campaigns and the goal is to create one new campaign for every two weeks.

While I am not new to PPC marketing, I’ve never put as much effort into this as I am now. Thanks to the business plan that I’ve created earlier, I am frequently reminded that in order for me to advance to the next level, I got to take action and put theories into practice.

Of course, intellectually most people are aware of that. However, procrastination seems like a nice place to be at when we are comfortable with where we are now and that’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

So far the results have been encouraging. It has added an extra USD2000 to my bottom line. To some, that may seem tiny, but it helps me move closer to my goal of reaching the USD10,000 monthly income before the end of this year.

The downside is that, my PPC spending has skyrocketed alongside and sometimes it’s painful to spend over RM1000 in a week or so to test a niche and still fail to make money. Nevertheless I understand that one must be prepared to lose money in order to make money.

The most valuable lesson that I have learned is, since I know what works, I am going to replicate those success in other niches. Successful PPC marketers are not those who have never failed. Instead, they have experienced enough failures to know what works and what doesn’t.

When it comes to keyword research, I typically gravitate towards the free tools such as Google AdWords Keyword Tool and Yahoo Search Marketing Keyword Selector Tool (no longer available) and my own research.

But I always knew I needed something extra so I did a research and settle for a tool called KeyCompete.com

instead of the more well known Word Tracker.

KeyCompete is an online keyword research tool that identifies the keywords your competitors are using in their pay-per-click campaigns. It basically spies your competitors to help you discover what keywords they are bidding on.

If they have been bidding on certain keywords for a while, you can be sure that those keywords are likely to be profitable. So instead of trying to invent the wheel, you can add those keywords into your existing campaigns to improve your ROI.

The “Watch Report” feature in KeyCompete shows which keywords your competitors’ are adding or removing to their campaign on a daily basis, but I am not certain how accurate this is. So far I find that KeyCompete works well for searches done on established competitiors but new domains do not always return reliable results.

I particularly like the “Long Tail Keyword Report” which could potentially supply me with a larger but cheaper list of keywords in any niche.

So far I am amazed by its ability to discover keywords that I would have never found using any other tools. One gripe I have is the interface is a little too simple for my liking as I like to see more advance options made available. Also, the number of keywords found is often larger than it actually is because of the duplicates that crop up every now and then.

In addition, there’s no option to group keywords based on related terms like what Google AdWords Keyword Tool does. But I think this is a minor complain since it can be done using AdWords Editor’s Keyword Grouper function which breaks up my keyword list into groups of related terms.

Minor gripes aside, I think KeyCompete is an invaluable addition to any serious PPC marketers’ keyword research arsenal.

Obviously, KeyCompete is not cheap. The annual subscription costs up to USD499. I am currently on the USD299 plan. What sealed the deal for me is, I know Amit Metha the millionaire PPC marketer is using this exact tool in his PPC marketing effort and I often heard he recommends KeyCompete each time someone asks what keyword tools he is using.

Check out his blog at SuperAffiliateMindset.com. While you are there, check out this interesting post about a letter from a reader.

Comments

Comment by Felex Tan
2008-04-04 16:34:13

Do you use Facebook ads?

2008-04-04 19:06:12

Not at the moment.

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2008-04-06 12:47:12

Oh yes.. this kind of info I have been waiting for. Thanks. Time to do some testing. Thanks Gaman. :)

2008-04-09 15:35:58

2,000 extra sounds like a lot to me! :D

2008-04-10 19:10:59

Some people are making that much daily!

2008-04-11 10:25:32

Pay Per Click you mean like advertising in Adwords and stuff to get more traffic Gaman?

2008-04-11 11:20:29

Yes. However, the main goal is not to get more traffic but rather to sell more products.

2008-04-11 13:39:35

So your approach is more of sending traffic to a shopping portal or to an affiliate page, if you don’t mind me asking.

2008-04-12 04:49:03

I create my own landing pages which promote affiliate programs.

Comment by susan
2008-04-13 17:09:22

hi gaman, congratulations on your success of PPC. Can you share which affiliate program that the offers from and what’s the payout range? Thx!

2008-04-15 00:27:41

Hi susan,

I am selling products from CJ.com and RegNow.com. Sorry I can’t reveal the exact affiliate offers. The payouts range from US7 to around US30. Most of them are pay per sale offer.

2008-04-15 00:36:09

Chief Gaman.. he he.

Which works best for you? Create your own squeeze page/landing page or get someone to do it for you? ..or does your affiliate program provide you with the page so you can fill in the blanks?

Thanks chief.

2008-04-15 00:59:28

I hire designers from RentACoder.com to help me create several landing pages which I customize to suit a particular offer.

I wrote the main content myself. I paid other writers to write some articles for the blog section.

This month is not a very good month. One offer is eating most of my profit.

2008-04-15 04:17:15

Thanks Gaman. Outsourcing is the way.

2008-04-15 12:58:47

I should mention that design of the landing pages have to follow certain rules. So you’ll have to be very specific in your requirements when hiring someone to design them for you.

Comment by Kotoh
2008-04-15 14:28:45

Gaman..

I love the sound of “landing pages” especially with ppc/adsense arbi. Just kidding.. is it dead already?

But if we think 2wice it still make sense and doesn’t smart priced if we combine with affiliate as long as landing page’s quality score satisfied by the Big G. Just my 0.05 cent.