WordPress 2.6 Released & Sabahan.com Upgraded… Again

July 15, 2008 by

Well what do you know! Two days after upgrading Sabahan.com to WordPress 2.5.1, a new version, v2.6 was released today, almost a month ahead schedule.

While I am still at it playing with the new interface, I might just as well upgrade Sabahan.com to the latest version. I didn’t perform any backup because the last backup is two days old and nothing much had changed since. This post is posted after the upgrade.

It made me reconsider whether to install the WordPress Automatic Update (WAU) for Sabahan.com to make things easier. However, at its current form, I can’t help but think that it may potentially introduce security holes by changing several directories and files writable (of course you can always reset the permissions).

I also do not like the idea of allowing a plugin to create a folder (wpau-backup in this case) in the root index. That said, I feel that this isn’t a big deal if this is done on my secondary blogs which I have WAU installed and now is a perfect time to run it.

Other software such as Windows OS, Mac OS X, and Firefox have their own built-in update mechanism that ensures their users have the latest version. This essentially reduces security holes and ensures their users obtain the latest version without having to go through tedious upgrade rituals.

And for WordPress, having an auto-upgrade feature integrated at its core seems like a natural progression which the developer should consider in the future version. The Automatic Upgrade option was planned for WordPress 2.6 but it appears that this feature didn’t make it in this current version.

Version 2.6 contains a number of interesting new features such as the ability to track changes to every post and page. This feature adds wiki-like tracking of edits, useful for multi-author blogs if you want to keep track of who’s doing what.

Then there’s the post from wherever you are on the web with Press This bookmarklet that you can add to your browser toolbar. If you click “Press This” from a YouTube page for instance, the video embed code will be extracted into your WordPress post where you can add your own comment and post it in your blog.

I can imagine this can be handy if you are running a video blog or you just get your inspiration from places like FaceBook, Del.icio.us, FriendFeed etc.

In addition, you can now take advantage of the Google plugin for Firefox and IE called Gears which speed up your blogging activities by caching commonly used Javascript and CSS files on your local computer.

If you change your theme often, you’ll be happy to know that you can now preview the theme live with all your content without having to make it immediately active on your site. This is great feature which I’ll test soon as I am now in the process of looking for a new theme for Sabahan.com.

I’ve also noticed inactive plugins are separated from the active ones making the interface more initutive and easier to keep track of your active plugins.

Some other smaller features and enhancements in version 2.6 are

• Word count! Never guess how many words are in your post anymore.
  • Image captions, so you can add sweet captions like Political Ticker does under your images.
  • Bulk management of plugins.
  • A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG.
  • Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries.
  • Plugin update notification bubble.
  • Customizable default avatars.
  • You can now upload media when in full-screen mode.
  • Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default, but you can turn it on easily through the options screen.
  • Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security.
  • You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues.
  • Ability to move your wp-config file and wp-content directories to a custom location, for “clean” SVN checkouts.
  • Select a range of checkboxes with “shift-click.”
  • You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one.
  • A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions.
  • Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI.
  • Version 2.6 fixes approximately 194 bugs.

I can go on and on about all the new features in this version but I suggest you watch the following video if you are interested to learn more about them

Download WordPress 2.6 here

Comments

Comment by Rice Blogger
2008-07-15 16:36:40

wow..that is pretty fast…but 2.6 right jump from 2.5.1…this is weird…i will wait

Comment by eshark Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-15 17:44:10

Long time never drop by ere..

Oh! Now it’s 2.6 ahh!! New features on drag-and-drop reordering galleries is sounds yummy! plus you able to toggle between the Flash or classic uploader?? Now that’s sounds good also since I just think WP2.5 Flash uploader are total failure, but I love the function where you able to upload multiple images at one time.

Thanks for sharing some fresh review ere Mr.Gaman ;)

Comment by Not A Niche Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-15 19:04:07

I wrote a tutorial where you can use a plugin to automatically upgrade to WordPress 2.6 in 5 minutes without any problems. It’s not the WAU, which you mentioned. It’s a much more secure one and it works perfectly. Just updated a blog without any flaws today.

Check it out:

Have fun and good luck with the upgrade!

Comment by Daniel
2008-07-16 00:13:18

Upgraded to WP2.6 this afternoon. Had it tested and hola all the features are as good as claimed. The loading speed has increased considerably, that’s good thing! Less seconds spent on waiting for the snail to crawl.

The theme previewer is another good feature! It helps especially when we are trying out with new themes or tweaking the CSS codes.

Comment by calvin
2008-07-17 04:37:02

It would be great if WordPress can focus on issues such as excessive mysql queries that slow down the server rather than introducing add-ons. Currently I’m having issues on uploading images with the latest version.

2008-07-17 14:26:36

I don’t think a plain WordPress installation suffers from excessive mysql queries problem – 12 to 20 queries to serve a page is by no means excessive. The more likely culprit is your plugins. If your blog gets tons of traffic consider removing problematic plugins or replacing them with efficient ones. You may also need to consider caching your pages with plugins such as WP-Super-Cache.

I’m actually going to write about this in my next post.

Comment by Noorizam Shah
2008-07-17 09:46:00

I’m still used wp 2.2.. ohoho

Comment by StuckS
2008-07-18 15:57:40

wah, you still using the old wp.
you should update it asap lol

Comment by PCFairForum.com.my
2008-07-18 13:41:48

The update was sure fast and i was playing with the older version when it ask me to update to 2.6 i wonder why do they do the release so fast. Hope the plugins is still compatible with the new version not like the other web development software which some plugins only compatible with certain version.

Comment by mrBadak
2008-07-20 03:22:23

i’ve finally updated mine (from 2.3.1 kekeke).. will add some more new plugins soon :)

Comment by aman
2008-07-24 13:47:55

I have updated my installation, like the new Google Gears function..huhu