Coming Soon: Sabahan.com v2.0 On A Screen Near You

July 28, 2008 by

I’ve been working hard testing and customizing a brand new template for Sabahan.com. If everything goes as planned I hope to unveil the latest design, the latest tomorrow.

Since I plan to sell advertisement directly, regular readers may notice more ads on the sidebar. However the content section will remain like it is now with one inline AdSense rectangle ad.

I am also interested in incorporating a new, professional looking logo for Sabahan.com. Since spending some money hiring a designer to do that isn’t something that I’m looking forward to, I’ve decided to design the logo myself.

I was looking for inspiration when I stumbled upon this rather inspiring and informative article from evernerve.com

The new Sabahan.com logo design was based on the ideas I got from the article… let see if my logo designing skill is up to the standard ;)

As for the template itself, I’ve decided to spend a little money to purchase a commercial template instead of following my inclination to use a freely available template.

Actually I’m feeling a little under the weather right now; let’s hope it won’t get worse so that I can finish this upgrade ASAP ;-)

Comments

Comment by eshark Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-28 21:48:49

Waaah!! v2.0 for sabahan.com, I wonder how would it look, here what I would expect(just my thought):

-smooth + clean navigation
-new side bar
-hope new theme comes with attractive header
-nice looking logo
-colored background
-more online competition(He! He!)

look forward of the new logo.. good luck!

2008-07-28 23:46:02

Let see…

>smooth + clean navigation – check
>new sidebar – check
>attractive header – check (I think hehe)
>nice looking logo – check (I like my design)
>colored background – not as colourful as JohnChow.com
>more online competition – this can be arranged ;-)

Although my assistant told me the new design looks like an online newspaper portal – which can be a little plain for some people

Comment by eshark Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-29 11:58:14

Waaahh!! I can’t wait…

Comment by Azmeen
2008-07-29 11:14:28

Waiting with bated breath on what Gaman sees as Sabahan.com 2.0 :)

Comment by pinolobu Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-30 00:15:37

I thought I got DNS cache poisoning and went to the wrong blog.

USD50 for 1 month? No discount for poor Sabahans?

2008-07-30 00:50:47

That’s considered good value already haha. There’ll be discounts and free spots for readers.

Update: I’ve reduced the price to US25 per month

Comment by Azmeen
2008-07-30 00:22:57

…and it’s live! Nice, clean, slick and modern design!

The only thing I miss is the direct navigation links to the next/previous posts.

Other than that, it’s definitely better than the old theme.

Congrats!

2008-07-30 00:53:18

Thanks! Glad you like it. I could add the next/previous links for sure.

Update: Those links appear at the bottom page when your browse the main page or archives. Like the previous template they don’t appear on individual posts.

Comment by iter
2008-07-30 10:26:44

wah… sabahan.com with new look… wish u all the best with this new look.

Comment by Rice Blogger
2008-07-30 11:11:20

I can see that you are having a template that allows you to have more advertisements space

Comment by chang
2008-07-30 13:01:43

pretty cool design! Probably can play around with the color to spice up a little bit.. :P

Comment by papajoneh Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-30 17:57:13

paid theme.. hmmm.. nice nice. like your assistant said, like the online newspaper portal. I think i look at the URL 3 times to make sure I’m not in the wrong place.

Knowing u little bit … I’m expecting this kind of design. Simple and easy to read.
I do wish u can add the prev and next post in the single.php. My point is so that no need to click the home link above to see whats before and after the current post. Just ignore me of coz :)

2008-07-30 18:05:41

That makes the two of you ;) I can do that no prob and thanks for the suggestion.

PS: I might implement this soon but can’t promise. I guess it’s a sign that I need to update my blog more often (so that it enjoys weekly (daily?) visits like it used to) and people do not have to read all my latest posts in one go hehe.

Comment by eshark Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-30 20:23:13

waah.. I miss one day, oledi up new theme suda. Hmm.. so far clean theme, much wider than before, I’ve run on most browser on both PC + Mac like IE, Firefox, safari, Opera + Camino.. perfect theme!

I don’t want to comment much on the layout as Mr.Gaman knows better, at first I think colored background makes the theme look cool, but actually with this white + light gray background, it even really makes any advert banner/box stands out well. Good thinking!

As for the logo, well done! simplicity really works. Just a perfect size to make it stands out clearly on the top header.

I star it : 4* out of 5*

2008-07-30 20:54:39

Yes I know why it gets 4/5 hehe. Give it time as I’ll be tweaking the template as we move forward. Thanks for the valuable feedback, I appreciate it.

Comment by eshark Subscribed to comments via email
2008-07-30 21:00:57

Sure no probs.. I knew that you’ll be developing the theme as this is just the beginning. All da best to you…