Should I Keep My PPC Search Advertising If I Already Rank #1 Organically?

Posted on 16th January, 2007

A member on High Ranking Forum asked whether they should continue to pay for PPC ads for the keyword they already rank #1 for.

If you are getting 65% of your traffic organically from Google for free, should you pay for the other 35%?

Some responded to the question with opinions that are worth considering when you are in such situation.

There is one theory that having top results in both organic and PPC listings can help build the credibility of the site (Customer: “Hey, these guys are all over this page! They must be the industry leader” or something along those lines.).


Studies have shown that multiple exposures increases CTR. I’ve even seen a study that asserted that while banner ads may not provide direct benefit in many cases, customers were more likely to buy when exposed to a company’s brand in multiple places.

While there are many reasons for not paying – including the high cost to gain that extra traffic, personally I say it depends on the situation.

I have a website where it’s ranked in the top 5 for one of my targeted keywords organically. While it costs me close to a thousand Ringgit per month to have the site listed in the sponsored listing for that particular keyword, I continue to bear the cost.

This is because with the sponsored listing, I sell 40% to 50% more product as compare to when I just depend on traffic from the organic listing.

I guess this could be the case where branding is playing its roles in a niche area. Perhaps the double exposure adds trust and credibility which lead to a bigger profit.

[via Search Engine Roundtable]

An engineer by training, Victor has been working full-time online as an Internet marketer, a programmer and an app developer since 2001. He has been blogging at Sabahan.com since 2006 sharing his experience and teaching people how to make money online. Click here to join his private Facebook Group for bloggers.

Scroll Up

Sign Up Below... For Tips and Tools to Help You Build a Better Blog

>> Sign Up Now and get access to:

  • chevron-circle-right
    The exact methods I use to make money
  • chevron-circle-right
    Resources to increase traffic to your blog
  • chevron-circle-right
    The latest updates from Sabahan.com

We hate spam. Unsubscribe anytime.